Updating from 10.6.8

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Supernerd, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Supernerd macrumors member

I am going to update to Mavericks from Snow Leopard. Yeah, I know, it's a big, risky jump. I need to know a few things first.

1. Is Quicken 2007 compatible with Mavericks? If not, is there any way I could get around that and run it anyway? This is critical.

2. What is the oldest version of Microsoft Office that is compatible? It doesn't really matter if my version is not, thanks to Google Docs. Drive. Whatever.

3. If it completely breaks something, can I downgrade back to Snow Leopard? I still have the disk.

4. What are the most jarring transitions from Snow Leopard to Mavericks? I know some of the basics, like how the library folder is hidden, the loss of the bar at the bottom of finder windows, and how it won't run apps without a certificate, but what surprises are lying in wait, ready to bite me in the butt? Please assume I know absolutely everything about Mac OS.

5. A small, trivial matter. Are all the keyboard shortcuts still the same? For example, my favorite shortcut: Will it still change spaces if I use the keyboard shortcut Command+<number of space>? I understand spaces was completely redone.

Thanks for whatever information you can give me!

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I wouldn't do an "upgrade." I'd do a clean install. Seriously.

I've found when trying to jump several versions ahead, the upgrade can be plagued with quirks, plus the entire system simply doesn't operate as fast or as smooth as when you do a disk wipe and clean install.

Clean install isn't difficult, so long as you have your data backed up.