Updating From 2007 whitebook to 13" MBP is it worth it.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krypticos, Jan 13, 2010.

  1. krypticos macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    #1
    Hello im thinking of updating from my maxed out whitebook. it has the crap intel igpu, 4gb of ram, 500gb hd. But im not sure if upgrading to the low end mbp 13" would be worth it or not, becuase all i would be upgrading would really be the gpu. i do a lot of video editing. mainly h.264 1080p video. i know it takes for ever is seems to render videos. i think right now it takes 3 hours for a 7 min clip to render. so if you think it would be worth the upgrade let me know. if you think i wouldnt really see any increase in video rendering then let me know. thank you in advanced. :apple::apple::apple::apple:
     
  2. Cboss macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2008
    Location:
    Colorado
    #2
    You should wait until Apple next updates the MBPs. They should (well, hopefully) have the new i5 processors from Intel, which should help your render times. They should be updated in the next month or two.
     
  3. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

    Ca$hflow

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    Location:
    London, ON
    #3
    I think its worth it. There is quite a bit of difference in the mb now. Battery life is incredible. Ram ceiling has increased, Video, etc.
     
  4. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    #4
    i was thinking of doing that but im going to be getting it from the refurb store i forgot to say that. sorry. also do you really think the 13" would get it. im thinking that it will only be the 15/17 for the first part of the year then 13 may get it with a 200 dollar price increase.
     
  5. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

    PeckhamBog

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location:
    London
    #5
    I'd suggest a white unibody MacBook from the refurb store, unless firewire was a pre-requisite. Same engine as base 13" MBP but cheaper and 250 vs 160 hard drive.
     
  6. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    #6
    well i thought about that one to and i think i want aluminum for the main reason of something different. i have had this for 3 years now and im kinda tired of seeing white. lol. but no i have only used firewire once. my camera now i need an sd card slot more than firewire. also hd size doesnt matter because what ever it has it will get my 500gb hd from my current mb. but happily ill have to get new better ram. im sorry im just trying to justify that it would be worth it just for a video card upgrade a very little cpu update and faster ram.
     
  7. reebzor macrumors 6502a

    reebzor

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #7
    I just did the same thing and I do not regret it at all. I sold my whitebook for $700 about bought 4gb of ram and a 500gb harddrive for my MBP. You could also just swap your 500gb for the one in the MBP when you get it and sell the white book. Then, obviously, make sure you upgrade the ram on the MBP.

    My MBP is just a much better machine than the whitebook. The screen is nicer to look at, it's faster (even though my whitebook was 2.4ghz with 4gb, my mbp is 2.26 with 4gb), 4gb of ram sometimes isnt enough for me so it's nice to know that once I get some extra cash I can up it to 6 or even 8gb. Also the whitebook only had a 1.5gbps SATA channel, even with a 5400rpm drive, the 3gbps SATA in my MBP is definitely faster.

    In summary, the $500 or so I spent on my MBP was totally worth the upgrade, I'd still wait a couple of weeks to see if apple updates them or not. Good luck.
     
  8. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    #8
    I desided to just take the plung and get a 15" pro with both video cards. I just came in to some extra money here soon. So I thank everyone for there input. I can't wait to get my first pro.
     

Share This Page