updating from 4.3.3 to ios 5 - Jailbroken and unlocked

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jerc, Oct 15, 2011.

1. jerc macrumors newbie

I have an iphone 3gs - unlocked and jailbroken. It's software 4.3.3 and baseband 6.15.00

How do i go about updating to ios 5 while keeping the unlock?

I tried to do it and failed so had to revert back to 4.3.3 after hours of confusion. SO i want to be able to upgrade to ios 5 and still have it unlocked as its an 02 phone and i'm with orange.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. jdaniel macrumors 65816

if u have a mac use redsnow..to create a custom ipsw that would prevent the upgrading of the baseband, once you download the program its under extras. then once u created that.. get phone into dfu mode.. (i use pwnage tool as a timer) then just use itunes to load the ipsw... if ur looking to tethered jailbreak then after the ipsw is create use redsnow again to jailbreak n load the ipsw..

I didnt have to keep my baseband coz I was factory unlock.. but I did the exact same thing.. so its pretty str8 forward..

3. jerc thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that - followed all the instructions from the last post in this thread -

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1253526

and when i go to restore the custom ispw with no bb itunes tells me that the iphone could not be restored and that it's not eligible for this build?

HELP! please..

4. jdaniel macrumors 65816

R u using mac or windows? So what is it at now? 4.3.3? If you follow the instructions it should work. i did it.. but then again I have the iphone4.. I am not sure about the 3GS. if I were you and on 3GS I would not want to go to ios5..3GS is laggy as it is...

5. jerc thread starter macrumors newbie

im on 4.3.3. yeah, and its a 3gs..

itunes just wont restore the custom ispw with no bb for some reason, ive even tried to rebuild the ispw a second time

6. jdaniel macrumors 65816

hmmm u using the latest itunes? 10.5 or whatever it is now....I cant think of anything else.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Maybe you should hold off on upgrading. If you've got blobs, go back to 4.3.3.

8. jerc thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah im still on 4.3.3 it just wont let me restore it to the ios 5 file. But i just use redsnow to get me out of the restore bit.

any other suggestions?

9. OSMac macrumors 65816

Were you in pwned DFU mode (black screen) when you tried to update in iTunes?

10. jerc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i was. This is bothering me as i really want to update.

11. enferrari macrumors newbie

Okay I figured it out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNK_ZXqF6r0
    After you restore to 5.0 it will just say searching..basically all you do is go to redsn0w hit install cydia, install iPad baseband (so it reflashes) and deactivate. It will work.

12. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

since you have iPad baseband it doesn't really matter does it?

because IOS5 won't update the baseband 6.15.00

and question, your gps broken?

13. jerc thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't put 5.0 on it that's my problem, Itunes just keeps telling me it cant process the build or whatever.

no GPS works fine