Updating/grading from my Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Skibum232, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Skibum232 macrumors newbie

I don't necessarily NEED a new computer but with the changes to ilife and starcraft II out my wife and I thought it was time to upgrade our system.

Here is some information on us that will hopefully help
    -My current MB is a 2.2 core 2, 2 GB RAM and 200 GB HD
    -We have a 16gb ipad

Our needs are probably light, we both surf the web and I would do occasional photoshop, imovie, iphoto things for fun, I would game play online now and again.

We've looked at the 13 & 15 MBP as well as the 21 & 27 iMacs. The only reason I was considering the MBP is to be able to shoot and edit while we are traveling or if I'm at my office but I don't see it as a deal breaker and most of my research told me that with what we already have I should get the iMac.

Any help or advice would be great.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Since you already have a MacBook, I would get an iMac. While you're on go, you can use the MacBook but when at home, you can sit in front of iMac's amazing screen. iMac also offers more power so for gaming it's better.

I would also upgrade the RAM in your MacBook to 4GB

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I completely agree on both ideas. The iMac would be much superior for gaming, and you would still have the MacBook for portability, plus it is still a reasonably powerful computer.

4. Skibum232 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree too. From just messing around at best buy and the apple store I love the imac screen and it seemed like for the money you get more. I've just been in laptops so long it was hard to go back to a desktop!

Is it worth the money to go to the 27 screen?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Definitely in my opinion, as long as you have space for it. You could also look for refurb if you want to save some $, this is amazing deal

6. kyzen, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

kyzen macrumors regular

Agreed.

Also, if you're more budget conscious and don't need balls to wall power, this refurb is an even better deal:

linky

EDIT: fixed link

7. Skibum232 thread starter macrumors newbie

As bad as it sounds I just want to be able to run Starcraft on a reasonable setting, looks like an awesome deal!

Thanks again on the comparison, I read through another thread and most people agree that the 27 looks really big but you end using a lot of the screen.