updating hard drive and os issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SINISTER71, Jul 31, 2011.

1. SINISTER71 macrumors newbie

so i up graded my hard drive and im trying to install the os again but this is the screen i get every time i do something. please help

[​IMG]

2. simsaladimbamba

3. SINISTER71 thread starter macrumors newbie

well the old drive crashed thats why the replacement. its a mbp 13" mid 09 model but i cant do anything i even tried target disk mode that is the screen i get every time im stuck...

4. simsaladimbamba

What new HDD model did you get again and what Mac OS X installation DVD do you use again?

5. SINISTER71 thread starter macrumors newbie

10.5.6 but i have an upgrade disk to 10.6 hitachi 250 gb

6. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Reset the Ram/PRAM by booting and holding "Control-Option-P-R" That should fix it.

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

If the above doesn't work....

Can you put the OS X dvd in the drive and by holding down the option key while turning on the machine (keep holding it down) boot from the OS X dvd?

If it boots, go into utilities and run disk utility. Initialize the new drive. Now you can try to install OS X on the new drive. Let us know what happens.

8. SINISTER71 thread starter macrumors newbie

ive tried all those things. but i just cant get passed that one screen. :confused:

9. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

It wouldn't let you reset? It wouldn't let you boot from the OS X DVD? Hmmm.... Just double checking.. Try both those again and reply back. Good luck.

10. SINISTER71 thread starter macrumors newbie

tried everything multiple times still nothing

11. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Resolution
    Restart your Mac with a Safe Boot and see if the kernel panic happens again

In most cases, kernel panics are not caused by an issue with your Mac. They are most likely caused by an issue external to your Mac. If the kernel panic doesn't happen again within a few weeks, you don't need to troubleshoot further.

Depending on the model of Mac you have, restart one of these ways:
    Press and hold the Power button for several seconds to turn off your Mac. Then, press the Power button to startup your Mac.
    If you have a Restart button, press it.
    As soon as your Mac starts up, hold down the Shift key to start up with a Safe Boot into Safe Mode. Note: If you are using a third-party external keyboard and cannot start with a Safe Boot, try using an Apple keyboard instead.
    If your Mac has a kernel panic starting up, or while in Safe Mode, jump to the "Troubleshooting a recurring kernel panic" section of this article.
    If your Mac starts up without a kernel panic after a Safe Boot, restart your Mac by choosing Apple Menu > Restart…, then let it start up normally. Run Software Update and install all available updates until Software Update reports "Your software is up to date". Mac OS X updates improve the tolerance for external issues such as malformed network packets. For most kernel panics, this is all you have to do.

Full article link here. Hope this works.

12. SINISTER71 thread starter macrumors newbie

there is no os on it and it wont let me start up in safe mode no matter what i do.:mad:

13. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

That's probably static damage then, if nothing works. That's worst case scenario.
    Or it's an issue with RAM, or your logic board. It's definitely not the hard drive.

14. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

The only thing I can suggest is to get an enclosure for the hard drive, switch your old one back to your computer, and the new one in the enclosure. Use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner, and copy the OS and other files over the the new drive, then install it again. Pretty sure that would work, unfortunately it is a pain to do this.. but I think it would work well.

edit: old drive crashed... I would probably have to say that you must go to Apple...

15. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

He has no OS installed or bootable. He cannot boot up, and he probably can't go past the chime. His old hard drive's a goner, it crashed. He can't use CCC or Time Machine to restore because he can't boot into the DVD.

Hardware-related for sure. Get that thing to the nearest Genius Bar and get it fixed. Hopefully you have AppleCare on it; component replacement could be costly.

16. SINISTER71 thread starter macrumors newbie

just made an app with the genius bar we'll see what happens. thanx for all your help guys :D