updating hard drive on macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by missmatzahhh, Feb 25, 2008.

1. missmatzahhh macrumors newbie

I bought a macbook three weeks ago. Since then I've put pictures and music files on my computer and they've taken up more of my 120gb hard drive than I expected. I am considering upgrading to a 250 gb hard drive, but am wondering if I would have to pay full price for it or the difference between that and the 120 gb one, since I got it so recently. Thanks!

2. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Don't screw around, do it right the first time for a marginal price difference go for the 320gb.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Hey Miss Matzah and welcome to the forum -

I think you're considering going back to Apple for the upgrade which will be very costly. Brandon has suggested getting a larger hard drive than the 250 (go for the 320gb) but he was obviously thinking that you were doing the upgrade yourself.
    The smartest thing that you should do is indeed upgrade it yourself and save a lot of $$. You can decide on what size to put in but the operation of upgrading will be the same.
    HERE are some very good instructions for performing the operation. If it's a little bit above your capabilities, do you know any Apple or computer gurus that can offer their assistance?

Hope this helps. -GDF

4. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

The HD replacement is very simple, I think there are even youtube videos showing you how it do it, if you want to check those out to give you some confidence.

As long as you get the right kind of HD, there should be no problems, let us know how you get on. I would suggest you try to get a techie friend to assist/oversee during the operation.

5. missmatzahhh thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

i'm not at all confident in installing the hard drive myself, as i have a tendency to screw things up. I also don't know anyone who is great on apple comps. I just switched from PC and the only computer guy I know works only with them. Perhaps he'll know someone though. Just out of curiosity, approx. how much would it cost to have apple update it?

6. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Anyone who is handy with a screwdriver and computers could probably handle the job, no need to have someone who's good with specifically Apple computers. Hardware is hardware, haha.