Updating hardware

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tech198, Jun 27, 2016.

  1. Tech198 macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2011
    Location:
    Australia, Perth
    #1
    Would this be a bad time to update gear ?

    Thinking of purchasing new:

    Mac Mini
    Possibly new Macbook Air or 12-inch Macbook
    iPad Air 2 or 13-inch iPad Pro
    Apple TV (4th gen)
    iPhone

    Based on MR buyers guide most will be probably updated September (at least) it looks like it.

    Any advice ?
     
  2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

    thats all folks

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2013
    Location:
    Austin (supposedly in Texas)
    #2
    as the MacRumors guide says, wait, mostly. iPad is probably set for the year and then some. MacBook was just updated, if you find that machine acceptable. the current mac Mini is an embarrassment to it's lineage, and now 2 years old but it might not get any better. the Air is hopefully in line for one more minor update, I hope. some think the TV is due for a 4K update, I couldn't say either way. iPhone, if you are on this site, easy enough to know what is going on there.
     
  3. kiwipeso1 Suspended

    kiwipeso1

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2001
    Location:
    Wellington, New Zealand
    #3
    I'd suggest holding off on all until September/October.
    I would not recommend the Macbook unless you want an underpowered netbook, this year's MBA will be better.
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    If you're updating for the sake of updating, yes, it's a bad time. If your mac mini stopped working, then
    you have no choice, as the need is immediate.

    If you can wait,then wait, if you cannot then buy now.

    Apple is going to be updating some of their computers (I have no idea if the Mini which has not been touched in a long time is due to be included in the refresh) in the fall.
     
  5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #5
    There is nothing out that will be much better than what you already have I'd leave it another year or 2.
     
  6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

    keysofanxiety

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    #6
    As others have said, it would be best to wait until September to see what they update.

    At the very least, it may be worth looking to swap the 500GB HDD in your 1.4GHz Mac Mini for an SSD. It would make a massively positive impact as the base model Mac Minis are massively sluggish due to the 5400RPM drives. That way you at least won't need to buy a new Mac Mini.
     

Share This Page