Updating iLife '06 to iLife '08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cujoca, Aug 28, 2007.

1. cujoca macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I'm really keen on upgrading mu iMac to iLife 08', but I just have a quick question...When i purchase the iLife 08' DVD and install it in my computer, am i going to lose all my photos and videos or will it just upgrade my system. How will it work with my existing photos and "events" in iPhoto?

Thanks in advance!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Your photos are kept...it tries its best to put your stuff in Events, but it only takes a little while to rearrange them properly :)

3. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

so i pretty well have nothing much to worry about?...Everyone else's upgrade went smoothly?

4. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

also did you think the upgrade was worth it? I just don't want to upgrade it, then regret it later...

5. shikimo macrumors 6502

For what it's worth, iPhoto is IMO a much, much better application in the the '08 incarnation. I've only fiddled with the new GarageBand and it seems perhaps slightly more rad than the last version, which I adore. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but negativity coming out of the iMovie camp; the big fans of iMovie '06 are numerous and vocal in their criticism of it, so if you do amateur video work you might want to investigate that situation.

There have been some complaints about installation troubles, but not enough to make one think it's more than the usual 1%, which is pretty much expected. Not that this makes the 1% any happier, but still it's unavoidable and no reason to not go for it. I just bought a new Mini so mine came preinstalled, thus I cannot comment personally on the process.