Updating iOS Software: iTunes vs. iOS Device?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by logicstudiouser, Jul 21, 2014.

1. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

Which way is better for iOS 7 updates:
    1. Updating in iTunes
    2. Updating on iOS device

Which do you prefer and why?
    One thing I notice is that the file size is smaller when updating on iOS devices vs on iTunes for some reason.

2. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Always with iTunes....OTA update is no good for jailbreak.

3. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I think on IOS device is only does changes update - on iTunes it is a complete update

I almost always to iTunes - I do an additional backup before and have found it always reliable.

Just my preference - probably isn't but I feel it is safer.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

iTunes always downloads the full latest version, so a larger download, but it also unpacks it on the computer (which is generally faster than on the phone), and uses the computer space for unpacking and all that (so not as much free space is needed on the phone).

5. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I like ota. Bad experiences with iTunes. Partially my fault though.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

There is no "better" way. They are simply different means to the same end.

7. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Always with iTunes, which will download the full iOS file. And the OTA delta update might be a smaller file, but it won't work if your device is tight on storage space (it needs a LOT more space than just the size of the update file). The iTunes update will work regardless of how much space you have on the device itself, because the files are unpacked on the computer.

Part of my maintenance routine involves doing a factory reset and restore from backup about once every other month. I need to do this because the "Other" category (I suspect these are mostly failed iTunes Match downloads) and some of my apps will accumulate a huge amount of storage space and won't release it until I reset and restore. Just the other day, I cleared more than 3 GB when doing the reset and restore.

Having the full iOS file on my computer allows for the factory reset and restore from backup to move much faster. Also, I just like the idea of doing a clean installation when updating the OS.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Always over the air. I don't want to use desktop iTunes. I don't want to look at it. I don't want to think about it. Is a pain in the ass. Defiantly not apples best work.

9. white4s macrumors 65816

itunes is so simple my 6yr old niece could use it

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I have had many problems with it in the past. I want nothing to do with it

11. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Going from 6 to 7 to 8 etc -- you need to plug you IOS device into iTunes to complete the install .. any .1 updates can be done via OTA (Over The Air) way ...

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

You don't need to, but you can.