Updating iPad from 3.2 to 4.x on a different computer: a few questions.

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gekkota, Mar 5, 2011.

1. gekkota macrumors member

I currently have OS 3.2 on my iPad. I do not have access to my PC which has my iTunes account on it, and I am looking for the best way to update to the most current OS. Can anyone answer these questions...I would really appreciate it. I have too many apps, and no folders. :(

1. I know I can use another computer to update the OS, and my sister has a Macbook. Do I just open her iTunes, plug in my iPad and click on "update?" I don't want to sync to her Mac; I only want the new OS.

2. How can I pay for the update? Do I need to sign into MY iTunes account on her iTunes? How do I do this?

3. Since I am not syncing--or backing anything up on her iTunes--what happens if something goes wrong? Will I lose all my apps and need to download all 200 of them one by one?

4. Would it be better just to bring my iPad to an apple store and ask them to update it?

I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I would be forever grateful if someone could answer them....thanks.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Before plugging it in, make sure your sister's iTunes isn't set to automatically sync iDevices. There's a checkbox for this somewhere in iTunes' settings or preferences.

No need to pay. Firmware updates are free.

Well... If your sister doesn't mind having all 200 apps on her computer, you can right click on your iPad icon in iTunes, and select "backup." Then you can right click again and select "Transfer purchases." The order doesn't matter, just that you do both.

It might be better, especially if your sister objects to you tinkering with her iTunes settings. Another thing to consider is that iOS 4.3 will be released on March 11. It's got several neat improvements over 4.2.1. You might want to just wait it out another week and get that.

3. gekkota thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I think I will wait until the new update is out. I am still kind of confused on the difference between backing up and syncing. I have read all the info on the apple website and I still just don't get it. :(

Since it is not my computer, I know I don't want to sync the apps on my iPad to my sister's computer. But from what I have read, as soon as I plug in my iPad, it will begin to do a "backup." All I really want to do is update the OS. Do I need to allow this "backup" in case something goes wrong with the update? If so, can I then just delete the backup so that it doesn't take up space on her Mac?

Also, do I need to sign in to my iTunes account on her computer before I start any of this? Or just plug in my iPad without signing in? Sorry for all the questions but I really don't want to screw things up since my own computer is in storage and I won't have access to it if something goes wrong.

4. gekkota thread starter macrumors member

And one more question...do I need to "transfer purchases?" I don't really want to put the apps I have downloaded directly to my iPad onto her computer. I would rather wait til I have access to my own computer in a few months. All I want to do is update the OS.
    Thanks.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You don't NEED to backup or transfer purchases or sync before you update, but you SHOULD, because if anything goes wrong during the update, you could be forced to restore, in which case, if you hadn't backed up, any app data you have will be lost, and if you haven't transferred purchases, you will have to redownload everything you've bought from your iPad. Most times when you update it goes without a hitch, but in the rare times things don't go smoothly, you'll be really glad of a backup. As for deleting your stuff off your sister's computer after you're done, there are ways to do that, but you don't seem too comfortable with manipulating computer stuff, and I don't have time to write out all the steps. :( Are you sure you can't wait until you get back to your computer? How long before you get back?

6. gekkota thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Night Spring. I appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately it will probably be several months til I have access to my own computer...which is why I am trying to figure out the easiest way to get the new OS. (I am running out of space for all my app icons, and really need the folders!)

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, can you get to an Apple store, as some other people have suggested? My mom just called saying her iPad has "gone funny," and it turned out that she had started updating her iPad and it got stuck in a recovery loop. I had to talk her through restoring the iPad. So things do go wrong during update. :( it's up to you if you want to take the risk, but I just can't recommend updating without a full backup.

8. gekkota thread starter macrumors member

Guess I will have to give it a bit more thought. I do live near an apple store, but as you pointed out, there would be no backup. I appreciate all your feedback.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But the reason why people have been telling you to go to an Apple store is that they can make a backup in the Apple store before updating your iPad, and they would know how to delete the backup afterwards, so your backup don't remain on their computers. Heck, they probably have a system in place to take care of people in your situation! Just call and make a Genius appointment, and you'll be well taken care of.

10. gekkota thread starter macrumors member

According to the apple website, you are supposed to backup data before you bring your iPad in. They specifically say that backup is not available at the apple store. Sure would be nice if they could back it up temporarily there, though...