Updating Ipad from ios 3 to ios 5

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kupp, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Kupp macrumors regular

Ok so my mother has an older original iPad running ios build something like 3.2.

Her computer is not in optimal condition. Needs various work performed on it. Amongst other things may need a fresh install of windows as well as a replacement HD and who knows, maybe some new ram chips.

I already spent several hours just getting it to run somewhat more optimally. It's not the specs of the machine so much as the lack of maintenance that has been performed on it.

My laptop is more or less the same specs, just with a better graphics card, but never given me any problems

However, given how poorly her comp is running, I don't wan it anywhere near trying to update her iPad.

Can I just bring my laptop over, temporarily authorize her itunes account on my computer, backup her iPad download and install the update on her iPad, and then when everything is said and done, just switch the account on my own itunes back?

I haven't made any itunes purchases other than apps and I don't think she has either, so music purchases and what not are not an issue.

I am just trying to find an easy solution to updating her iPad with the minimum fuss in the mean time, until I can get a chance to get her comp back in a satisfactorily functional state.

Thanks in advance.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

An update from 3.2 to 5.0 will require a wipe and restore. I suggest not using your laptop as it may not have the proper media/apps/settings to restore back onto her iPad.

3. Kupp thread starter macrumors regular

You mind explaining precisely what you mean by proper setting. My laptop is what I used for upgrading my iPad 2 to iOS 5. My only computer actually.

Say if her iPad was backed up on her comp, I authorize her account on my comp, transfer purchases, update her iPad. Then deauthorize her account on my comp, and re-authorize my own account.

Would that basically just screw us both up?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You laptop doesn't have her apps, musics, or videos in its iTunes library. When iTunes goes to update her iPad, it'll restore it to 5.0.1 and then put her data back on from its library. Because your laptop doesn't have her data on it, she won't be happy with a near factory iPad. On top of that, iTunes may not allow you to backup her iPad.

5. Kupp thread starter macrumors regular

Even I her account were authorized on my computer?

Would she be able to restore the content from her own computer without losing the update?

I am just concerned that her computer will freeze or bog down irrecovably while tryin to do the update, leavin her with a bricked iPad and crappy computer.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Most likely yes, even with her account info.

Just use her computer. It will not brick her iPad. Modern iDevices cannot be bricked by anything short of a hardware error or an expert Dev-Team member.

7. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Let’s set things straight.

iOS5 (if she has an iCloud account) will let you download all her music and apps again for free. So the pre-iOS5 concern regarding losing the iTunes library is invalid)

The only thing at risk is the other data in the phone.

Why not syn with the old machine, so there is a functioning backup, therefore all the data is safe.

Then update to iOS5 on your machine if you think you must.

And then Restore to old backup on the old machine if you need to get the data back on. (it won’t downgrade the iOS doing this)

Fortunately for your mother and you once done you can do updates directly on the device without syncing to itunes.