Updating iPad iOS if my iPhone is unlocked

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bpt1, Nov 2, 2010.

1. bpt1 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just got an iPad and haven't yet connected it to my Mac cause I wasn't sure what to do if there is an update to the iPad iOS.

I have a jailbroken, unlocked iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.01. I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize the unlock on the phone.

So if I connect the iPad and iTunes tells me there is an update for the software, do I download and install it? Or do I stick with whatever came on the iPad?

Do the iPad and the iPhone use the same iOS's?

Thanks.

Beth

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Updates are specific to a device, so you can't accidentally update your iPhone while updating your iPad. Currently, iPad and iPhone are on different iOS versions -- iPad on 3.2.x, and iPhone on 4.1.x, but a 4.2 will be coming out shortly for both. But the update file for iPad will be called something like iPad1,1_4.2_8C134_Restore.ipsw, and the iPhone update file will start with "iPhone." If you have an iPhone4 and an iPhone3GS, let's say, the files for the two phones will also be different. I believe files for 3GS start with "iPhone1,3" and iPhone 4 files with "iPhone1,4" -- not sure about the exact numbers, but these numbers would be different for each generation of iPhones. Anyway, when you accept an update for a device in iTunes, it only downloads the file for that specific device. So you won't update your iPhone by updating your iPad.

Like I said, 4.2 for both devices will be released shortly. It's a great update for the iPad, so be sure to get it. But of course, as you know, don't update your iPhone, as you will lose your unlock.

Hope you enjoy your iPad!

3. bpt1 thread starter macrumors newbie

This was exactly what I needed to know. Thanks ever so much for your help.

Beth