Updating iPhone 4 neverlocked from Mac or Windows? PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mordav, Sep 27, 2013.

1. mordav macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and to this community as well.:)

Here is my dilemma:

I have a 16GB neverlocked iPhone 4 with iOS 4.1 on it and i want to upgrade it to 6.1.2, as i know iOS 7 is not that great on my other iPhone 4. I'm not so good with installing/modifying Apple software, so i called for help and will meet a guy (which i do not know) this evening that will put me the 6.1.2 on it.

My questions are:

Is it safe to make the update from his computer? (he's got a Mac)
    Or is it safer to make the update from my computer? (which has a Windows 8)

By safe, i mean if he can access my phone after that or access from his computer some personal data. He can do something with those SHSHs?

And another question:

Does it make a difference if i update my iPhone 4 from a Mac or from a Windows? I mean, will the phone work better if i would make the update from a Mac?

I am waiting for a response from you guys, thank you very much in advance!

Cheers! :D

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Apple quit signing iOS 6 last weekend. At that moment it ceased to be possible to put iOS 6 on an Apple device.

SHSH blobs to get around iOS signing quit working with iOS 5 if I remember correctly.

3. mordav thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i know. I tried to restore it even with an older version of iTunes and "Error 3194" appeared. He will most likely not use genuine Apple software in order to put 6.1.2 on it. Nevertheless, he told me he will not jailbreak it, as i do not want to.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

That's a pretty significant detail to be omitted from your original post. :rolleyes:

So essentially your question is whether it's safer for him to use some unknown non-Apple software on his computer to load 6.1.2 on your phone, or for him to load this unknown non-Apple software on your computer to load 6.1.2 on your phone.

I'd go with the option that didn't load any unknown software on your computer. :D