Updating iPhone 4S to iOS 6 worth it, performance wise?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by tennisproha, Sep 19, 2012.

1. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 4S with the latest 5.1.1 as do so many others on here. There was a discussion on this forum a few weeks ago about what would cause performance changes over time on iPhone X.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1421836

Some felt it was content accumulation while others thought updating to newer, more resource intensive OS' was the culprit.

Will updating to iOS 6 cause a 4S to have 'lesser' performance? I don't mean features obviously rather CPU, GPU, etc...

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I was on the betas a while and remember thinking, this is much quicker. Now I'm on the public release and it hasn't slowed down.

3. WesCole macrumors 6502a

My 4S actually feels a little snappier since I updated...and, I didn't do a clean install, either.

4. 2IS Suspended

I have a 4 and have not had any performance loss that I've noticed over iOS 5

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

SO worth it. To stay on topic, it seems snappier. Siri is quicker and more responsive (recognizes my voice better which saves editing time), web seems to be quicker and apps are snappier.

6. bp1000 macrumors 65816

The entire os feels slightly quicker on my 4s too and I just did the ota update too.

Best to give it a month or so for the system caches to fill up

7. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

If you want battery drain, then go ahead and update.

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If you want battery drain then go ahead and take the phone off of the charger.

9. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

So you are gonna make a useless statement? :rolleyes: I've been using every iOS 6 betas and the GM, I know what I'm talking about. Go look around, 90% 4S users are reporting horrible battery life on the official'GM of iOS6

10. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

As a developer I had access to the "GM" release about a week ago.

I updated my iPhone 4s to test my apps on a physical device. I also use my 4s as my main phone. (yeah, I'm a poor developer - so I can't afford "test" units.)

The 4s works great with iOS 6. No reason not to update. Battery life is the same. A few things are more polished, like the App Store. Camera does Panoramas now, Siri does a bit more -- but for some reason I think she sounds different.

Anyway, after a week I haven't found any show stoppers, performance issues, or battery problems.

11. 2IS Suspended

I had a battery issue when I upgraded to 5. Somone here suggested the following.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

I was skeptical, but desperate to get the battery life back to where it was so I tried it and was surprised to see that it did the trick. Might be worth a shot a try.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

My wife and I must be the lucky 10% as we both are up at 5am and use our phones through late in the night with zero battery life issues.

Can't say the phone is noticeably faster or more quick with apps but I can say it's not any slower.

13. EMAN19 macrumors 6502

The update is horrible. Maps is awful (no street view?) and the App Store is laughable.

14. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

I use my phone with almost identical usage patterns everyday,
    And I noticed a significant drop in battery levels over the day, care to explain why this is the case?

----------

Well, I did two clean installs, and yes I reset all the things one could possibly think of.

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I've been on the GM Version since last week with one of my phones with zero effects and like you, I have a pretty solid routine. Same question back at you.

I just updated the other phone today and so far it's been great.

16. HeelToe macrumors newbie

Yikes. Performance on my iPod is awful. How do I 'downgrade'? My iPad 3 also seems more sluggish. Disappointing would be an understatement.

17. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Safari is MUCH faster in iOS 6 on iPhone 4S.

Actually, several things are faster now. Even my keyboard lag is gone and I didn't even perform a clean install.