Updating iPhone 5 from iOS6 ... to iOS7 (NOT iOS8)?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by StinkyDonk, Jul 16, 2015.

1. StinkyDonk macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2012
    I've bought a used iPhone 5 to be going on with as my other phone keeps acting up. It came with iOS 6.

I remember some time ago, probably back when i had an iPhone 3GS, i tried to update my then iPhone to an iOS version that wasn't the current version & it wouldn't let me - i had no choice but to either not update at all or update to the latest version at that time which i didn't want to do.

I don't want iOS8. Is there any way at all i can update to a version of iOS 7? I forget which version of iOS 7 my iPhone 4S was running, but i wanted to update to iOs 7, not 8.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Oct 17, 2011
    With a phone like iPhone 5 you are in the same situation basically--either you keep what you have or update to what is currently being offered/signed by Apple (which is either iOS 8.4 or iOS 9 beta if you want).
  3. StinkyDonk thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2012
    With such an old phone, what would you say would be the better option?

I'm wondering if iOS 8 would make it laggy as hell.

And can 8.4 be jailbroken?
  4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Oct 17, 2011
    8.4 can be jailbroken. iPhone 5 is certainly older, but it's not really such an old phone. It works fairly well with iOS 8. It won't be as snappy as it is with iOS 6 of course, since pretty much since iOS 7 is not as responsive in comparison.
  5. eyoungren macrumors P6

Aug 31, 2011
    ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
    ^^^I'll second this.

My iPhone 5 is on 8.3 and jailbroken. It's actually quite fast and responsive, but it's not my primary phone any more. If there was any way I could get iOS 6 back on my iPhone 5 though I'd jump on that chance.

Just my opinion, but unless there is some specific reason as to why you'd need iOS 8 I would stay on iOS 6. It was the launch iOS for the iPhone 5 and is probably the best choice for that phone. Keep in mind that I am biased however as I hate iOS 7 and 8.