Updating iPhone for the first time.

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Hi

I'm going to update my friends iPhone 3GS, she's still rocking 4.1. She has never synced to a computer since she bought it, an I right in thinking that due to this, I can plug into my laptop and update without her losing her contacts, SMS, settings, etc? She has no iTunes content like music, I know that would be removed if he had it. I just wanted to check i'm right in my thinking.

Thanks.

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
you shoukd backup everything just in case. Wow she has upgraded since 4.1 ? Damn thats gonna be a very different phone when she gets it back. Anyways Goodluck.

Comment

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
It should be a seamless experience, but you will have a couple of roadblocks. If she does not have an unlimited data plan or a big tiered data plan make sure to turn iMessage off as that uses cellular data. Also you may need to help her setup iCloud if she never had a @me account.

Edit: I'll kill two birds with one stone here in conjunction with the two posts below mine. If you have a high-tiered data package or unlimited data package iMessage will not be a problem. On the other hand if you have the cheapest data options you will generally have to watch out when it comes to media consumption and iMessage can be a hidden dynamite if you send/receive pictures or video.

Last edited:
Comment

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
It should be a seamless experience, but you will have a couple of roadblocks. If she does not have an unlimited data plan or a big tiered data plan make sure to turn iMessage off as that uses cellular data. Also you may need to help her setup iCloud if she never had a @me account.
Really iMessage doesn't use alot of data unless your sending videos and High Res photos

Comment

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It should be fine, but to be safe, back it up first
I know it backs up as part of updating, but i was going to do that anyway :) thanks for the reminder tho.

you shoukd backup everything just in case. Wow she has upgraded since 4.1 ? Damn thats gonna be a very different phone when she gets it back. Anyways Goodluck.
yea, she's been quite stubborn, she's worried about losing her text's, etc, i said it would be fine, then just started doubting myself lol. think it could take hours tho since never backed up before.

Edit: I'll kill two birds with one stone here in conjunction with the two posts below mine. If you have a high-tiered data package or unlimited data package iMessage will not be a problem. On the other hand if you have the cheapest data options you will generally have to watch out when it comes to media consumption and iMessage can be a hidden dynamite if you send/receive pictures or video.
iMessage won't be a problem, she's on the same network as me and she sends much less than me and i don't come close to my limit. i know about setting her up on iCloud, wasn't bothered about that. Purely just wanted to be sure that no contacts, SMS, settings definitely won't be lost.

Thanks all :)

Comment

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Just back it up and restore dont worry about iMessage or anything it will a-okay
:cool:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.