Updating iPhone for the first time.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shandyman, May 20, 2012.

1. shandyman Suspended

Hi

I'm going to update my friends iPhone 3GS, she's still rocking 4.1. She has never synced to a computer since she bought it, an I right in thinking that due to this, I can plug into my laptop and update without her losing her contacts, SMS, settings, etc? She has no iTunes content like music, I know that would be removed if he had it. I just wanted to check i'm right in my thinking.

Thanks.

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It should be fine, but to be safe, back it up first

3. Demonface macrumors 6502a

you shoukd backup everything just in case. Wow she has upgraded since 4.1 ? Damn thats gonna be a very different phone when she gets it back. Anyways Goodluck.

4. Spectrum Abuser, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

It should be a seamless experience, but you will have a couple of roadblocks. If she does not have an unlimited data plan or a big tiered data plan make sure to turn iMessage off as that uses cellular data. Also you may need to help her setup iCloud if she never had a @me account.

Edit: I'll kill two birds with one stone here in conjunction with the two posts below mine. If you have a high-tiered data package or unlimited data package iMessage will not be a problem. On the other hand if you have the cheapest data options you will generally have to watch out when it comes to media consumption and iMessage can be a hidden dynamite if you send/receive pictures or video.

5. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Really iMessage doesn't use alot of data unless your sending videos and High Res photos

6. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

My thoughts exactly. iMessage uses hardly any data for me. And I use it constantly.

7. shandyman thread starter Suspended

I know it backs up as part of updating, but i was going to do that anyway :) thanks for the reminder tho.

yea, she's been quite stubborn, she's worried about losing her text's, etc, i said it would be fine, then just started doubting myself lol. think it could take hours tho since never backed up before.

iMessage won't be a problem, she's on the same network as me and she sends much less than me and i don't come close to my limit. i know about setting her up on iCloud, wasn't bothered about that. Purely just wanted to be sure that no contacts, SMS, settings definitely won't be lost.

Thanks all :)

8. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Just back it up and restore dont worry about iMessage or anything it will a-okay
    :cool:

9. shandyman thread starter Suspended

as i said, not worried about iMessage or iCloud, was literally just the things i said, SMS, contacts, settings.