Updating jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by twezzyfbaby, May 2, 2012.

1. twezzyfbaby macrumors regular

twezzyfbaby

Im currently jailbroken wit the resnow 0.9.10b3 and i seen that theres been like tons of updates since then i think its up to 0.9.10b5c. What i need to know is whats the best way to run the newest jailbreak without losing everything on my phone?

2. Twenty Two macrumors newbie

Twenty Two

I would just back your phone up. Just in case, even if u find the safest way.

3. twezzyfbaby thread starter macrumors regular

twezzyfbaby

So just back it up and run the newest version? Or is there something eles that needs to be done?

4. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I'm currently jailbroken with Redsn0w 0.9.10b3 and I have seen that there have been many updates since then. I think it's up to 0.9.10b5c. What I need to know is what's the best way to run the newest jailbreak without losing everything on my phone?

... Fixed that for you.

You need to download the latest Redsn0w (check iClarified.com), then restore your phone with the appropriate firmware (again, iClarified.com), then re-jailbreak w/ Redsn0w.

Unless you're updating your firmware, there is absolutely no point in doing this (unless you just get a kick out of saying that you jailbroke with the LATEST Redsn0w...).

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Go to cydia and do the updates if any.
    That's all.
    There's no need to rejailbreak using a new version of redsnow.
    If its not broke dont try to fix it. Leave it alone unless you want to update to a newer firmware and then JB.

6. twezzyfbaby thread starter macrumors regular

twezzyfbaby

You have great point there!! I have been updating things in cydia but i must have updated something that doesnt get along with some other things cause i keep going into safe mode and i just thought that might fix that. But thanks alot for the info guys

7. ZCherub, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Go back into Cydia & remove the packages that you recently installed (you can probably leave the packages that were installed without you having the safe mode problem). That will probably solve the issue w/out a retore/re-JB. Good luck.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. twezzyfbaby thread starter macrumors regular

twezzyfbaby

I have been updating things in cydia and thats the problem i am having i dont remember what it was that i updated. Silly me for not looking at them

----------

Been there done that like five times i even left my phone off for a few hours nothing

10. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Yeah - going forward, keep a running log of what you update/install so you can reverse the changes if need be. Good luck.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree with the above.
    Seems to be a conflict with an update not playing nice with other addons you have.
    I'd start removing things one by one to find the issue.

12. twezzyfbaby thread starter macrumors regular

twezzyfbaby

Those were my thoughts also. Thats gonna take awhile doing it one by one but thanks for the help guys

13. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

It does help to keep track of what you're changing. My phone was flying in the stratosphere and all of the sudden, one update after another of NCSettings started a lot of crash issues. I deleted the app, all went back to stable. I'm still giving NCSettings a shot after each update (dev is busting ass to make it right) because I love the versatility and small NC footprint. But when my phone acts up, I know where to look, everything else has passed teh test of time and stability.:)

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    It helps if you dont have 60+ packages installed too.
    Keep it simple and install things that you need and use.