updating jailbroken 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by psywzrd, Jan 30, 2009.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Now that the new QuickPwn for Mac is out I want to update my 3G but I'm not 100% sure how to do it. I also want to back up and restore my jailbreak apps via AptBackup. Is the following procedure correct?

1. Back up apps via AptBackup and sync phone via itunes to create a new backup.
    2. Restore via itunes.
    3. Use QuickPwn again to jailbreak.
    4. Restore from backup created in step one.
    5. Install AptBackup again and restore apps.

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

That's exactly what I do! :D

Yeah, that's the best way IMO.

3. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. I just want to make sure that I do it right and that I don't cost myself any valuable storage space. Is there anything else I need to know? When I restore in step 2 do I have to select any option (restore to factory maybe?)?

4. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

No, you should be fine with just clicking the 'Restore' option in iTunes.

By doing it this way, you wont be loosing 500MB of storage per Jailbreak ;)

5. ottoman1384 macrumors newbie

what would be the steps if using pwnage tool and yellowsnow?

6. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I do not have a Mac, so I can't use PwnageTool, therefore i don't know much about it. What I do know is that you need to make a custom IPSW which wont update the baseband. This will let you use yellowsn0w.

7. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

After step #2 (restore in itunes), do I need to update to the official 2.2.1 from Apple or can I go right to QuickPwn?

8. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

No, you don't need to update, but you can if you want.

9. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Yes, restore and update to latest firmware in iTunes, then quickpwn.

10. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Tokiopop indicated above you that you don't need to update to the latest firmware first. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to either method?

11. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

No advantage or disadvantage, it's just if you want to upgrade or not :p

12. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

So there's really no point, right? If I'm going to use QuickPwn, isn't that going to update me to 2.2.1 anyway? I guess that will save me one extra step.

13. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

No, it wont update you, PwnageTool will though. If you want the minor bug fixes, go for 2.2.1... If you're not bothered then stay on 2.2.

If you did want 2.2.1, then get it via iTunes. Then use QuickPwn.

14. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh - I misunderstood then. I thought that running QuickPwn would update me to 2.2.1 but I guess all that does is jailbreak me. The only reason for me to even go through this process is to get 2.2.1 so it looks like I'm going to have to update to 2.2.1 via itunes and then use QuickPwn.

15. scotty588 macrumors 6502

Do I need to restore to 2.2 then upgrade to 2.2.1 or can I just restore to 2.2.1?

16. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Just restore to whatever, update to 2.2.1 if you're not already on it, jailbreak, then restore an iTunes backup if you have one.

17. scotty588 macrumors 6502

ok, thanks.

18. scotty588 macrumors 6502

I used quickpwn, resynced with itunes and it restored my apps but cydia disappeared. Do I need to jailbreak again?

edit: after some googling i found out if you go into settings, general, turn restrictions on, then turn it off, everything will re-appear.

19. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Well I don't know how I screwed this up but I did. I did a backup and restore and since there was a new update available I upgraded to 2.2.1. It asked me if I wanted to set it up as a new phone or restore from a backup and I think I selected new phone. Once I did that I realized that I might have made a mistake so I restored from my backup and that seemed to work ok (although my apps didn't sync back over). Then I ran QuickPwn and it seemed like everything went fine. I reinstalled AptBackup and ran the restore function and it did its thing. Once it rebooted it just stayed on the bootup logo and didn't change. Now it's just stuck on the reboot logo and I can't get it to come back up. What should I do?

20. JonD25 macrumors 6502

I have the same exact problem! I'm away from my Mac now so I can't try another restore. I'm hoping that'll at least make my iPhone functional again. Let me know if you figure it out.

21. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Put your phone into DFU mode and you can at least restore to stock FW. After that you can try to JB again. Sometimes it takes a few attempts to get it right...

22. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Well I found the following info in another thread and it allowed me to restore my phone via itunes. Hope it helps you too.

1. Do a hard reset on the phone, hold the sleep/wake button + the home button until it turns off then release before it turns back on.

2. Plug the dock into the computer and have iTunes running.

3. HOLD the home button on the iPhone, while holding it, connect the iPhone onto the dock and CONTINUE to hold the home button until the CONNECT TO ITUNES DISPLAY APPEARS.

4. iTunes will recognize this and ask if you would like to restore it. Click restore. Then choose to restore from BACKUP! This will take a few minutes. It will fix the problem. Your iPhone will be up and running as normal and all your contacts, sms, bookmarks, settings, etc. will be intact. The only thing that will be erased is the music. But you can easily add that all back right.

23. JonD25 macrumors 6502

24. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I was able to bring my 3G "back to life" but I have a couple of issues. First, AptBackup did not work at all. The first time I tried it my phone got stuck in a reboot loop when AptBackup rebooted my phone. The second time I tried it my phone turned off and I had to do a reset to get it to come back up. It did not bring my jailbroken apps back like it was supposed to. I guess it's possible that I did something wrong but I doubt it so I don't have much faith in that app now.

Also, once I restored my phone and upgraded to 2.2.1, I restored from one of my backups; however, my apps did not sync back to my phone at that time. I don't know why that happened but it did. I had to re-sync to get my apps back and once I did, they were placed on my phone in alphabetical order rather than the order that I had them in before I began this entire process. Is that supposed to happen?

25. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

You messed up.... Aptbackup worked perfectly for me, so don't knock it. ;)

And yes, my restore from a backup went the same way.