Updating jailbroken 3GS to iOS 5

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sg01, Nov 5, 2011.

1. sg01 macrumors newbie

I have zero knowledge on jailbroken phones and need help with my sister's phone.

She would like to update her 3GS to iOS 5 and do not need to jailbreak afterwards. At first, we tried to update it using iTunes. It says that she has the current iOS installed. So, we then restored it then tried to update. Again, it says she has the current OS installed.

Could anyone please give me a step by step instruction on how to update the phone? I would believe it's no longer jailbroken because we already restored it. But it is not letting us update to iOS 5 through iTunes.

Thank you for your help.

2. sg01 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. TC25 macrumors 68020

Back the phone up in iTunes, then click on Restore. After the Restore is done, set up as a new phone.

4. sg01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done this initially, however iTunes is saying I currently have the latest software which is not iOS 5. :(

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Put the phone in DFU mode. Itunes will notify you that the phone is in recovery mode, then hit Shift + restore (if you have PC) or Option + restore(if you have Mac) at the same time, the select OS5. Itunes will restore your phone to that firmware and you will have a factory setting OS5 iphone.

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Install the latest version of Itunes first. Plug the phone in and when it is recognized select update. This will update the IOS and will not touch your data or applications.

7. sg01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I will try this.