Updating Jailbroken iPhone 3.1.3 to 4.0?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bigj608, Apr 1, 2011.

1. bigj608 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, thanks for taking your time out to help me (hopefully, lol).

I know this question has been asked I'm sure--I ran searches, Google, on here, etc--I couldn't find anything with "exact" help.

Here's my situation--I have a jailbroken iPhone, ATT, 3.1.3 (7e18), firmware 05.12.01. I'd really like to update to iOS 4, and still be able to jailbreak.

Can anyone help me with the steps to do that? I really don't want to brick my iPhone, so any help would be wonderful. Thanks again so much in advance, and sorry if this question has been asked (and I didn't find it).

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You can only upgrade to 4.0 or higher if you have SHSH saved in Cydia.

3. iFiend macrumors 65816

This is really not true since he could go to 4.3.1 and have a tethered JB without SHSH saved (assuming he has a 3GS)

OP - what kind of iPhone do you have? Do you have any SHSH saved at the top of the main page in Cydia?

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Probably a 3Gs if his bb is 5.12.

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

3G & 3GS with the same firmware version have the same baseband.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The question about upgrading firmware has been asked and answered numerous times, so you didn't really search.
    Please stop using brick. It can't be done with software. Software errors are always recoverable, one way or another.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And would be nice to tell us what kind of iphone you have so we dont have to play psychic.....

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Dude, everyone knows that Mr. Chocolate Triple Thick Shake possesses psychic powers to the nth degree. C'mon, you're just being mean if you refuse to use those powers. :D

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, if he buys me 2 apple pies for a $1 I might use my secret psychic superpowers to update his iphone telepathically:D

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Man, you're a cheap date. You should hold out for the supersized value meal. Those superpowers require energy, don't ya know?:p

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, maybe I should have asked for an oreo McFlurry too:D

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Apple pie, super-sized value meal and mcflurry. Hmm, maybe you should also ask for one of those faux-starbucks coffee drinks too. :D

13. bigj608 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3gs. In Cydia (in green font) it says SHSH: 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1+, 4.3

I did do a search, and I found a couple things (but I didn't find what I thought would help me)--so I asked in a thread. I apologized, and as you can see, my thread was made at 430 in the morning, I've had some family problems and haven't slept in 48+ hours--this is my vacation away from my problems. So my apologies if I did something numerous others did. But, I did run a search.

iPhone 3gs, anything else you need to know to help?

Thanks everyone.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Here's what I would do bro.
    Its good that you have shsh blobs for plenty of firmware.
    I'd create a custom 4.2.1 ipsw with pwnage tool.
    Then restore to that JB firmware thru itunes. Just follow this step by step below.
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=13931

15. bigj608 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a mac (I'm still poor, lol). I looked at that site, and it didn't seem like it made sense to me. I'll look for a windows version of those directions.

Is updating, then jailbreaking a difficult process? (Or am I making it out to be much harder than it is?)

I guess I thought I would see a list, cause jailbreaking originally was pretty easy for me.

And once again, thanks everyone for helping.