Updating jailbroken iPhone = losing unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lacereza, Apr 8, 2011.

1. lacereza macrumors regular

I jailbroke my 3GS using Jailbreakme.com, and it's still running 4.0.1 (8A306). Now I want to update to 4.1.3. I've downloaded redsn0w 0.9.6rc11 and iOS 4.3.1, but I'm not sure about something:

Will I have to go through the activation/verification process and unlock again? Or will the unlock I already did stick? I don't remember if I still had my AT&T SIM when I did the original jailbreak and unlock. I'm now in Haiti with no access to the AT&T network -- though I do have an old but still active Cingular prepaid card.

Perhaps relevant info:
    When i open Cydia, it says SHSH 4.0 4.0.1 4.0.2 4.1 4.2.1+ 4.3
    Baseband is 05.13.04

Thanks!

2. alpineflip macrumors newbie

You actually need pwnagetool and not redsn0w as you will end up updating your baseband and will lose the unlock. Pwnagetool will help you create a custom fw so you can preserve your bb so don't use redsn0w. And as for activation that prepaid sim might be able to activate the phone regardless if its active or not just uncheck hactivate in pwnagetool and try it

I forgot to mention you could also use sn0wbreeze for windows if you don't have a mac to build a custom firmware

3. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

Hm. Ok. Do you know of a guide online that'll walk me through the steps?

4. alpineflip macrumors newbie