updating jailbroken/unlocked 3g 3.05 to 3.1x

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by curiousgg, Mar 20, 2010.

1. curiousgg macrumors member

Hello,
    I bought a 3g iphone already unlocked and jailbroken last fall. I'm using it on T-mobile. I believe it's running 3.05. I'm not sure what it was unlocked with but Cydia is installed.

I would like to update it to 3.1x (probably 3.12) so I can download a couple apps.

I've scoured the web and there's a lot of information out there with "if this then that", and "don't do this but". It's confusing.

So my question is can anyone give me step by step directions. I use windows.

If step by step directions can't be given, does it matter what my phone was previously jailbroken with? If so, how can I determine that?

One site seems to indicate that I can use the pwnage tool but then it's mac only?

I don't want to lose my unlock. Which is why I haven't previously updated. Just wondering if I can ever update.

Thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no firmware 3.05
    Find out what firmware version you're on and whats your modem firmware version.
    Settings/general/about

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

easiest route to take (assuming your on 3.0 firmware) is to get yourslef the 3.1.2 ipsw file and get redsn0w from redsn0w.com and then (depending on the system your using) in iTunes with iPhone plugged in (if on windows) hold the shift key down and hit restore and point iTunes to 3.1.2 and it will install 3.1.2, if your on a mac hold the options key down and do as above.

next when it's updated to 3.1.2 load redsn0w and point redsn0w at the 3.1.2 ipsw file and click next once it's identified the ipsw and click next. Now you will get a bunch of check boxes, tick install cydia and click next and you will be at a screen telling you to turn iphone off.... do so.

Now as soon as you press next hold down the iPhone power button and follow onscreen instructions and your set. Once it's jailbroken just add http://blackra1n.com to cydia sources and then install blacksn0w and walla your jailbroken and unlocked

4. curiousgg thread starter macrumors member

version 3.0
    modem firmware 04.26.08

andybno1: so it doesn't matter what my iphone was previously jailbroken with? Do i need to do anything special to backup my apps (cydia & app store)? where do i go for the ispw files?

Thanks

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You are in a great position with your phone, and you should not upgrade to an official 3.1.2 firmware. You should create a custom 3.1.2 firmware with PwnageTool (or obtain one from a trusted source if you don't have access to a Mac) and use that to restore your phone to 3.1.2. This will preserve your baseband at the 04.26.08 version and your ability to unlock using ultrasn0w. If you upgrade to 3.1.2 official, your baseband version will be upgraded and you will be forced to use the much less stable blacksn0w unlock.

Under no circumstances should you upgrade to 3.1.3, as it will upgrade your baseband to an version that cannot be unlocked.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

7. curiousgg thread starter macrumors member

To summarize
    iphone 3g version 3.0 modem firmware 04.26.08 already unlocked/jailbroken used on tmobile (3g is disabled), have windows XP

Want to upgrade and keep unlock/jailbreak

This is what i plan to do

1. Backup in Itunes & Pkgbackup to backup cydia apps
    2. Download redsn0w 0.9.2 from redsn0w
    3. Download 3.1.2 (3G): iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw from iclarified

4. Connect iphone to computer
    5. In itunes hold down shift while clicking restore then select the restore.ipsw that i downloaded

6. power off iphone
    7. (connect iphone to computer)
    8. Start redsn0w and select the same restore.ispw previously downloaded
    9. make sure i select cydia
    10. allow redsn0w to instruct me to put iphone in DFU mode (? do i still do this if i've already been jailbroken?) to complete jailbreak

11. ?Turn on iphone to see springboard
    12. open cydia and add http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com to install
    13. reboot iphone and i should be unlocked

14. Sync with itunes to get my programs/settings back
    15. Re-download pkgbackup from cydia to get my cydia apps back

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

step 12: with 3.1.2 ultrasn0w will no longer work so instead you will need to add the blacksn0w repo (http://blackra1n.com) and then install blacksn0w

also the added bonus with blacksn0w is you don't need to reboot, as soon as it's installed it's unlocked and will search for the network

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Don't update to official 3.1.2 and then jb.
    create a custom restore ipsw with pwnage tool on a mac to maintain your baseband.

10. curiousgg thread starter macrumors member

Applejuiced, you've confused me

Is the 3.12restore.ipsw that I got from iclarified an official 3.12? I thought that it is a custom restore ipsw that would preserve my baseband. I don't have a mac

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No it's just the official ipsw from Apple.
    It won't preserve your baseband.
    See if you can use someones mac for a few minutes to create the custom ipsw thru pwnage or try to find one online thru google or torrent sites.
    It's worth the trouble staying on 04.26.08 with ultrasnow rather than the blacksnow unlock.

12. curiousgg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

success. preserved 4.26.08 baseband and I'm now on 3.1.2 firmware still able to use my phone on T-mobile.

Didn't think I would lose some of my settings and stats, but I can live with that!

Thanks