updating jailbroken & unlocked 3g

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by farmercist, Jan 27, 2009.

1. farmercist macrumors newbie

Sorry I'm a newb at this. If someone could clarify several things for me I'd be grateful. My 3G is jailbroken and unlocked. Questions

1. If I upgrade firmware at some point do I lose both the jailbreak and unlock? The jailbreak is not that important to me as I just want the unlock for travelling.

2. should I do a restore in i-tunes first before I upgrade firmware if I decide to do so? I think that I will have to jailbreak and unlock the phone again from what I have been reading correct?? I just don't want to brick the phone!

Thanks in advance for any help on this

Farmercist

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Yes. Restoring to stock firmware will remove both the jailbreak and the unlock for both 2G and 3G iPhones.

Don't worry about bricking your phone. Provided you don't remove the cable from your iPhone during a very specific part of the restore process, you can't brick it. If you screw up something else, you're just looking at a DFU restore.

As for the restore, I'd recommend building custom firmware with PwnageTool so that you can leave out Installer and add yellowsn0w out of the box. (Note: if you need help doing this, there are plenty of tutorials on how to use PwnageTool.) It'll guide you through the process of flashing the new firmware to your device.

Best of luck!