Updating Mavericks requires Apple ID authenication?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by KoolAid-Drink, Sep 18, 2013.

1. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Once Mavericks is released, will the same Apple ID used to purchase Mavericks be asked for when updating Mavericks?

For example, when 10.9.1 comes out, when updating through the App Store, would it prompt you for your Apple ID/password like it does currently with other 3rd party apps? Or would it still permit you to update the system without authenticating your Apple ID?

With Mountain Lion currently, no Apple ID/password is required to update the core OS and components - it's required to purchase the OS itself, but beyond that point, Apple ID/password is not required at all.

I understand Mavericks has yet to be released, but do you think Apple will still allow you to update the OS itself without entering Apple ID credentials, for point/system component updates?

2. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I'd assume they'll follow the same route as they did with Mountain Lion... but I'm not seeing why it matters if you have to enter your password to update?

Although I highly doubt for an update you'll need to enter your password... seeing as the apps in the App Store automatically update with OS X Mavericks (as stated in the Keynote event), it is safe to assume that OS upgrades will be in the same fashion unless the user prefers otherwise.

3. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

It matters because some people get Mavericks through other means, such as a free upgrade at the Genius Bar if their older OS isn't working properly, or a mom using her Apple ID to re-download Mavericks on her son's computer - if mom's out of town and a critical update is out for Mavericks, would the son need her mom's Apple ID credentials to download the update? Similarly, would the customer who was upgraded to Mavericks at the Genius Bar need to enter that genius' credentials? Doesn't sound very plausible.

Those scenarios are not a problem with Mountain Lion, because system updates are processed the traditional way, just through the App Store, but does not require Apple ID credentials. I was just wondering out aloud if Apple had changed this in Mavericks, seeing as Mavericks is only available via the App Store. My concern is that, now that Apple is distributing all their software via the App Store, this makes it easier for them to "force" control over all their apps via updating. So far, with Mac OS X, this hasn't been done (only downloading the OS from the App Store, no other control), but I'm just concerned this may change with Mavericks.

Make sense?

4. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Yeah, it makes sense looking at it that way. However, that is why I would assume it will be the same process as Mountain Lion was... or lets hope so at least.;)