Updating/modifying an already jailbroken 2G iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dellyo11, May 17, 2010.

1. dellyo11 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm just new to writing in this forum and so please bare with me.

quick info:
    I was handed down an already jailbroken 2G iPhone just the other day. It has software version 1.0.2, and all the contents, settings, and network settings was reseted. It has the "installer v3.0" app in the iPhone. It connects to iTunes (windows version) properly and it says there is a new software available 3.1.3. I have not tried or will try to update right now until I am told if its safe to do so or not to do so.

problem:
    When making calls or text messages, the iPhone works well. But when I try to open the installer app I keep getting a "Refresh Failed, Could not refresh sources". I tried to see if there are any available updates in the app, but the updates tab always results in a blank (no results).

?solution?:
    So what can I do or what should I do without bricking this 2G iPhone? I want to update this iPhone to the latest software or mandatory software version, and I would like to have Cydia app in it. I have looked around on what to do, but so much information is not making sense to me yet. Where should I begin?

Thanks in advance for those who can help! :)

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

2G's can be updated without any issues as they can still be unlocked no matter what. Go for it. Pwnage Tool should work for your needs.

As a side note, I don't think most 3rd party devs distribute on Installer any longer, they've moved on to Cydia and Rock. :)

3. dellyo11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip!

So, I will restore factory settings on this iPhone 2G via iTunes. Then I will update software to 3.1.3 via iTunes. Then I should use the Pwnage Tool to re-JB this iPhone. Correct?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, use PwnageTool or Redsn0w.

5. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Close, just create a custom firmware with Pwnage Tool and update. No need to update then use Pwnage Tool. Alternatively, you could update then jailbreak with redsn0w then use bootneuter to unlock. :)

6. dellyo11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all who helped.

I did it! I used the Pwnage tool instructions from iClarified.com to JB and Unlock my iPhone 2g (hand-me-down iPhone). It was a pretty easy process. Just need to follow the step-by-step instructions. Although, after the JB and unlock, I had to do a few researches and tweaks to get the AT&T signal stable, and to recover simple data plan we had for the sim card we used. :D