updating my application

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by dude1234, Mar 26, 2013.

1. dude1234 macrumors newbie

hey! i couldn`t find any docs that refer to this topic - how does one updates his app? can i somehow replace the existing sql database and a push notification will notify the user? should i upload a new version and delete the old one?

can i replace an existing file and let the appstore send notifications? how does it work?

tnx.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Have you read the iTunes Connect Developer Guide, especially the section on "Updating Your App to a New Version" in the "Editing and Updating App Information" chapter?

3. dude1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i did but i thought there is a more sophisticated way to update your app rather then uploading a new one.. because the user has to download the whole app every little update?

4. lastcall macrumors member

lastcall

I think it depends on what you mean by "update". Do you want to update code or content?
    Updating code requires a new app. Updating content probably does not. Depends on what
    you're doing and where it's located.

5. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

If you're updating content it's on you to have a way of updating it without an update to the entire app.

6. dude1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

if i design my app as a MVC and have each file work independitly, can i replace files like the sqlite file? because each file shouldnt care about the other - they just do their job..

tnx for replying

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I wouldn't phrase it that way. You can use MVC as a design pattern within your app, yes.

What do you mean by "file", in this case?

8. dude1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

by file i ment class.m and class.h lets say this class.h\m get a value from another class\object at run time and print it as it is, and the next version of my app i would like my class.m\h print out a letter (a,b,c etc..) next to the number it gets, so it actually acts independetly because the class that passes the number does not care about whats happening in my class (m\h).

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If you update a class in your app, you will need to submit a new version of your app to iTunes Connect.

10. dude1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you kind sir, you have answered my question - thats the answer i was expacting :D

now let us fill our stomach with bread and wine!

11. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Your .m and .h files are in no way sent to iTunes Connect ever. The code within those files is compiled into an executable and that's sent to iTunes Connect.

12. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

The entire app bundle is uploaded as one object to the app store.

If you change ANYTHING inside the app, you must upload a new version. Period.

The only way you could change content without uploading a new version of your app would be to have a server you create that delivers content to your app. At startup, you could query your server for the most current version number for your content, and download new content if it has changed since launch. You could use an approach like this to update a read-only SQL database, graphics and sounds, and things like that. You could not, however, update code. Even if you found a way to do it, Apple expressly forbids you from downloading code to your app.