Updating my mac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by thebends, Aug 29, 2015.

1. thebends macrumors newbie

Hi, was wondering if I could get a question answered.

My computer is 6 years old. I'm currently running:
    MAC OS X Version 10.6.8

Hardware Overview:
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.30f1

I was looking to update the computer, and have it wiped out clean. Was told at the apple store that they would update the software, and wipe it clean for NO COST. But cant update the hardware due to age of computer.

Does this sound right?
    Thanks for any help

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

A few things, first, this is the PowerPC Mac forum, which is for Macs with PowerPC processors. Second, what hardware are you looking to upgrade? Third, yes, you can upgrade the OS to Yosemite (or El Capitan when it comes out) for free. After you update, you can then update any of your Apple apps (iLife, iWork, Logic, Final Cut, etc) since there will be newer versions of them.

Hope this helps!

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

There are two options for upgrading your hardware.
    You can replace your existing RAM sticks with more. Your Early 2008 iMac can be upgraded to 6GB, maximum.
    That would be one 2 GB stick, and one 4 GB stick, both would be PC2-6400 DDR2 SO-DIMMs.
    The other thing that you can do is replace the hard drive with an SSD. The combination of both would increase your apparent speed noticeably. And, you have the capability to upgrade your OS X version to OS X 10.10 Yosemite (soon to 10.11 El Capitan)

4. thebends thread starter macrumors newbie

thankyou for the advice. so can I have all this done at the mac store?

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Apple will not do these upgrades. A authorized Apple Service provider would - but will cost $$.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

And, you could do all that yourself. All you need is the memory sticks, and a replacement SSD, and a few tools - oh, and some time to do that.
    The memory sticks are easy. The hard drive/SSD, less easy, but certainly doable. There's good information on how to do that at ifixit.com - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+24-Inch+EMC+2134+and+2211+Hard+Drive+Replacement/8968