Updating new iPhone 4 to 4.2.1 Error 1013

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by OrangeSVTguy, Dec 3, 2010.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

So I just got a brand new iPhone 4 and it came with 4.1. I just tried updating to 4.2.1 and got error 1013. Stuck on recovery. TU kicks it out of recovery but just does it again. Strange. I hope I didn't get a lemon lol.

Now I'm in the process of using redsn0w to create a custom firmware to try to restore to that.

I'm updating to 4.2.1 since my last sync with the 3GS was on the same iOS version and I couldn't restore my 4 to that since the 4 is on 4.1. I don't care about updating the baseband since I don't need to unlock anymore and Apple stopped signing 4.1 so TU couldn't save the SHSH for 4.1 anymore. Oh well.

2. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Just booted into Windows and updated with iTunes there with no errors. Restored from my 3GS and now everything is fine and dandy. Can't figure out why I had to do that so oh well.

3. TooSixy macrumors newbie

Chances are the hosts file on your Mac has an entry that points to a third-party gs.apple.com server, and the one on your PC doesn't have that entry.