Updating News Apps Without Wifi

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kaner88, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Kaner88 macrumors regular

So I just found out that I'm only going to have wired internet access for most of this summer. That renders my wifi-only iPad unable to connect to the internet. I was planning on updating my news apps in the morning and reading them during my commute to and from work. Can I do that by connecting it to my computer on wired internet, or am I just screwed?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

what type of computer do you have?

if you own a Mac, you can go into the Network settings and make your Mac give off a WiFi signal (HotSpot) so that your iPad can connect to it. I'm not sure if this is available in a Windows computer, but on a Mac:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ks-man macrumors 6502a

If your computer has a wifi card or external adapter you can create a wifi network from your computer to get your iPad onto the internet.

4. Kaner88 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a dell pc. I have no idea how to tell if it can make a wifi network. How would I figure that out?

5. MasonH macrumors member

Go buy a cheap $40 wireless router (like a Netgear)... wire it between your internet connection and Dell and you've got wireless for the whole house. For the iPad and everything else. It'll work perfectly.

6. Kaner88 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so it appears that my computer can "Add Wireless Devices to the Network," but when I try to connect my computer's network that way, the computer doesn't recognize the iPad wirelessly, and says I need to make sure the device is "discoverable." The iPad is detecting my PC's network, but it's asking for a password and I have no idea how to set that up...

7. Kaner88 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm gonna be at my fiance's family's house for the summer, and they don't want to set up wireless for the house just yet. I'm not sure exactly what the reasoning is, but it's their house.

8. ks-man macrumors 6502a

You can google Internet Sharing and then your OS to figure out how to do it, but you are essentially creating a wifi network without a router so if your fiance's parents don't want one, you're SOL. Basically internet sharing is a way to use a computer that has wifi and internet to create a wifi network.

9. MasonH macrumors member

Interesting. I don't see how the iPad could detect your PC unless it has a wireless card already built in (which many Dell's do). If that's the case you will have to fiddle with your network settings and see if it is indeed broadcasting a signal. Usually the internal card in the PC is used to find the wireless router however.

Does the iPad actually mention your PC's network by name? Because if not it might just be seeing your cordless phone... or your neighbor's wireless network:D