Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
If i were to receive an update from adobe or apple for final cut studio 3. These apps arent available in the app store, will they update like normal? I have a copy of software that weren't bought threw the app store, will these be rejected?

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
You run that particular programs updater to find updates for it. Office and Lightroom are both like that.

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
what if i have a copy of aperture or final cut pro x from a friend and it needs to be updated and i haven't purchased it. what happens then? can i opt out doing updates threw app store?

macmongral

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2011
not only are the scull and cross arms in trouble the people who purchased in on disk from apple at the higher price locked out ,you can update ,but the app store shows in as not installed so you would not get a update price and have to rebuy

idiiamots

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
not only are the scull and cross arms in trouble the people who purchased in on disk from apple at the higher price locked out ,you can update ,but the app store shows in as not installed so you would not get a update price and have to rebuy

Has Apple offered upgrade pricing before? All of their own software went through price cuts after release on the App Store. Aperture was $200 on disk, $80 on app store. iWork was $100, now $60 and you can buy the apps separately. Final Cut Pro 7 was $999. Final Cut Pro X is on App store for $300.

Aperture installed from DVD is still getting upgrades via Software Update.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Indeed Software update is integrated into the MAS - it doesn't replace software update. If you are using Aperture on DVD (or the iWork apps from DVD like I am) you get the updates via software update just like before. If you are pirating app store apps, you would be just as stuck as you were before - and that includes installing apps that a friend purchases - they are for his use and not yours.

To summarize: MAS apps get updated in the MAS just like always. Non-MAS store updates that use their own updating system (like Office and Adobe CS) will update using their own update system as before. Non MAS apps that update through Software update to update (like OS upgrades and DVD purchased apps) will update though Software update located in the MAS.

Non MAS apps do not get converted to MAS purchases. You buy iWork on DVD - it remains a DVD purchased (as would the DVD version of Aperture). You cannot convert Non MAS purchased apps to purchased MAS apps. You will still get updates no matter what though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.