Updating, not restoring

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Craig Christ, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Craig Christ macrumors member

Hey guys,
    apologies if this has been said many times before. I'm running 2.0.1 jailborken and want to go to 2.1 since the laggyness is driving me up the wall.

Can I update without having to restore? I noticed quickpwn for mac is out but it requires 2.0.1. Is it possible to update 2.0.1, with either OS?

Thanks

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

unfortunately no you would need to restore to a clean 2.1 before using quickpwn. If you use winpwn or pwnagetool you will still need to restore loosing all current data

3. dagored macrumors 65816

Andy is correct. Just do it. I used pwnagetool this past Sunday. It took longer to download iTunes 8 and rebuild my db than it did to pwn the Touch. Just back up before you do any of this and iTunes will put your device back to its old settings just as before.

2.1 runs better, backs up really fast, and you will be much happier. I reloaded my apps and they did not run until I downloaded a free app from itunes. I do not know why, but that fixed everything.

4. Craig Christ thread starter macrumors member

nice, thanks guys.

How do I ensure that my iPod backed up properly so that it will restore it's settings when going to 2.1?

I have a lot of notes I really can't lose.
    Thanks.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

6. dagored macrumors 65816