Updating Office '08 to Office '11

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ghsNick, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

So I received Office '08 for free from a family member because I need to use Office for something, but my birthday is in 2 weeks.

My parents are getting me Office '11 and I had a question about updating it.

Do I need to uninstall Office '08 or if I go to install Office '11 will it automatically replace it during installation?

I just want to make sure I'm not wasting HD Space with two versions of Office.

Btw - I'm mainly switching because I need that ribbon! I hate how Office '08 has the seprete "Tool" box.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I haven't done an Office 2011 install since release, but if I recall correctly, the installer searches the system for previous versions of Office and replaces them if the user wishes.

3. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok, when I installed '08 it was searching for previous versions to replace also.
    So assuming it's the same, it will completely replace '08 and I'll only have '11 on my Mac?

And you like '11 right?
    I read a bunch of bad reviews on Amazon for '08 and '11...but I can't come to understand if the people are just being babies to complain or if there really are problems?

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Some of the complaints are from babies, some of them are legitimate complaints from power users...but imo i love office 11. Way better than 08.

5. notclosetofour macrumors member

Office 11 is great. Don't listen to the bad reviews. If you have been getting by with 08, then when you start using 11 you will love it.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Absolutely not. The new version of Office is be installed side-by-side the old version. To delete an old version, the user must manually launch and run the Remove Office utility. Currently, I have Office 2004 and Office 2008 on my PPC-based Macs and Office 2004, Office 2008, and Office 2011 installed on my MacBook Pro. When I upgrade to Lion, Office 2004 will be useless on my MBP. However, the different versions do not interfere with each other.