Updating OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by martymar112, Nov 29, 2013.

1. martymar112 macrumors member

right now i have my IMAC and Macbook Pro running 10.6.8. I want to know is it worth updating to the new OS and how easy is it to do. Will everything be saved when i updated it IE movies, music, pictures, and files?

Thanks for the help

Mike

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Upgrading the OS does not affect files on the computer. Mavericks (10.9) is a free download from the App Store, which you should have access to with Snow Leopard (10.6). You need to provide more info about your Mac, and/or determine if it will run Mavericks.

You also need to be aware that you might have some applications that are running fine now, but will not run on Mavericks, and this will cost you to upgrade. Otherwise, it's pretty easy and painless.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

and be sure to have a complete backup in case something goes wrong!

4. martymar112 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. what kind of info would you need? also can i go from 10.6 to 10.9 or will i have to upgrade each OS till i get to 10.9

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Is your computer an iMac, a MacBook, etc.
    When was it manufactured? (When did you buy it, if you're the only owner...)

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If your machines are on this list they can run Mavericks. You can update straight from 10.6 to 10.9.

7. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I would say its really up to you. Have a browse through this forum and see whether anyone has had any issues with your iMac and MBP models running Mavericks. In general my experience with Mavericks has been positive, but doing some research never hurts.