Updating Podcasts causes iTunes beachballing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skybolt, Aug 13, 2007.

  1. skybolt macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2005
    Location:
    Nashville, TN, USA
    #1
    Starting yesterday (Sunday), when I open iTunes, as usual, my podcasts want to start updating. However, after about 7 go into the queue, iTunes hangs and starts beachballing. I have to force quit to be able to get out. I notice that when the beachballing starts, the MB fan comes on – coincidence? Or expected? Here is what I have done so far:

    1. Repaired permissions
    2. Ran MacJanitor
    3. Ran OnyX
    4. Restarted several times
    5. Opened a test user and downloaded a song from iTunes, and also a podcast. This worked fine, however, it did not take very long, and so may just not have been trying long enough to have started beachballing.
    6. Removed various .plist preferences (then put the old ones back since that did not change anything)
    7. Updated iTunes via the Apple website.

    Nothing has helped. I have tried having only iTunes open, so that it is the only thing running, but that did no good either. I don’t have any helper apps going, and have not added or changed anything since the last time I updated iTunes. Although, as I think about it, I MAY have let software update install whatever updates were out there after my last iTunes podcast update. Just can’t be sure of the chronology there.

    FWIW – I am using a cable modem and have 2 gig of RAM, otherwise stock MB – 2.0 Ghz processor, etc. I have plenty of hard drive space, as I have my music and photos on an external.

    Hoping somebody out there has a solution. I need my daily fix of podcasts!
     
  2. skybolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2005
    Location:
    Nashville, TN, USA
    #2
    Thought I'd update, in case anyone else has this problem. Called AppleCare one evening this week. Spent about an hour on the phone. The tech had me reset the PRAM and PMU, that did not help. He went off to research, and meanwhile we lost our connection. He did not call back, despite having taken my phone number right off.

    So, I started thinking. I went in and unsubscribed from all of my podcasts. I deleted ones that I really did not want any more, and then started, slowly, resubscribing to the ones I still want, allowing them to download before resubscribing to more. By the time I was done, I had resubscribed to all of them. No problems now! Seems to update just fine. It had been hanging on about 8 downloads, but this morning I had at least 15 in the download file, and all went well! So, maybe my problem was a bad podcast that I managed to delete -- or maybe by unsubscribing I jostled something loose. I don't know, but all seems fine now.
     

Share This Page