Updating procedure for new iWork: Are old versions kept?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JTToft, Nov 9, 2013.

1. JTToft macrumors 68040

Hello all.

Having read a lot of negative response to the new iWork suite, I am caught between wanting to upgrade to try the new software and being scared of losing Pages as I know it or having it ruined by the update.

I have also read that when upgrading, the older versions of iWork will be kept in the Applications folder. If this is true, does it mean that I won't lose anything by upgrading and that I can simply use the old versions of Pages, Keynote and Numbers if I dislike the new ones?

So, basically, my question is: To what extent will it be a disadvantage to upgrade, if at all (seeing as the old versions are apparently kept when upgrading)?

- Thanks!

2. zedsdead macrumors 68040

If you double click on any old file, it will automatically open in the new versions and convert them to the new format because if auto-save.

You can revert via time machine, but that's annoying.

There is no current way to tell Finder to open the files in the old apps, the usually method of "Change All" does not work.

So many people, including myself, are simply not installing it and waiting for the features we need to come back (thankfully mine are in their list).

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

No disadvantage to upgrading, as the old version of iWork will be put in the iWork 09 folder in your Applications folder.

I have both version of iWork, both new and past. I am currently still using the past version as the new version has been stripped down and does not do what I require.

For basic stuff the new version is okay. Do not open any of your old documents with the new version as you will no longer be able to then open it with the past version. If you want to open something in the past version just drag it to the past version app and it will open.

Same with iLife. You will get to keep the past version of iMovie and Garageband, but iPhoto is written over with the new version.