Updating RAM in 15inch 4,1 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timotay89, Aug 2, 2011.

1. timotay89 macrumors regular

I have a mid 2008 15 inch MBP (last model before unibody). I currently have 1GB of RAM in each slot (dock, etc. I don't know the technical name for them).

I have heard that the most this computer can handle is a total of 3GB of RAM. This leaves me with two questions:

1. Is there anyway to allow the computer to use more RAM if I installed it (like a total of 4GB or something?)

2. If it's not possible, is it worth it to upgrade to the 3GB? I've noticed that my laptop is running a little slower and can have less programs open at once before slowing down since I upgrades to Lion.

I've got a 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. (I'll be honest in that I don't know everything that all of that means). I just want to see how much faster and better I can make this thing as getting a new laptop won't be happening for at least 2 years.

Thanks.

2. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

It can actually take up to 6GB of ram - I kind of regret not doing so, I just updated mine to 4GB for $50 from crucial, but OWC has 6GB for around $120.

3. neenja macrumors 6502

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I've been running 6GB in mine for years even though 4GB is the most that's officially supported. It sounds like you aren't doing anything too intensive, so 4GB is probably enough for you. It will make a huge difference if you are running out of memory right now. You can easily check by looking at Page outs under System Memory in Activity Monitor. If Page Outs is more than a few hundred MB, then you need more RAM. If it's more than 2GB, you might benefit from 6GB or RAM.

5. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I installed 6 GBs in my early 08 MBP and it worked fine.