Updating Ram new iMac 5k 2017

Discussion in 'iMac' started by crodge, Jul 14, 2017.

1. crodge macrumors newbie

2. EugW macrumors 68020

EugW

It is not. Wrong CAS latency speed.

If you go to the Crucial.com website, it will tell you the exact specs you need for your computer.

3. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

You can also go to OWC and get RAM specifically compatible for that model. That makes it easy.

4. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I usually go with Crucial for memory and OWC for other peripherals, but Crucial has been out of stock of the compatible RAM, so I went with a 16GB upgrade from OWC. Easiest Mac memory upgrade I've ever had (of course, all of my previous Macs were minis).

5. JasonMovieGuy macrumors regular

It has? I just bought Ballistix Sport 32GB kit four days ago on Amazon. Is it gone yet?

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I just checked Crucial's homepage. I didn't even think to check Amazon, B&H and other Crucial carriers. OWC memory was only $5 more so it was close enough to just go with that.

7. mihai.ile macrumors member

I got the exact same configuration as you and I am only upgrading to 16gb for now.
    And since many buying 27 iMacs are selling the apple original 2x4gb modules they have you can get them quite cheap (practically new, used for what some days/weeks?)
    It will use all 4 available slots meaning in future when you want more ram you will have to replace instead of adding, but even so I still think this path has a good price/value ratio since bigger ram modules will get cheaper by then.