Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMP 4JC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
i have the 2010 macbook pro i7 15".. only 4 gigs of ram.
Has anyone upgraded there ram on this machine to 8 gigs and noticed much of a difference besides being able to say you 8 gigs of ram :)
Thanks

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
i have the 2010 macbook pro i7 15".. only 4 gigs of ram.
Has anyone upgraded there ram on this machine to 8 gigs and noticed much of a difference besides being able to say you 8 gigs of ram :)
Thanks

depends on what you do. if you run a lot of apps at once then yes you should upgrade. if you only run 3 or 4 at a time 4GB should be fine.

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
Upgrading to 8gb helped a lot but only because I use a lot of virtual machines at the same time (3-4 constantly). The perceived performance difference was much greater when I swapped the internal 5400RPM drive with an Intel 160GB SSD.

If you don't consume your entire RAM now (you can check your page ins and page outs, if they are low your computer doesn't offload data to the virtual memory on the HDD) you will probably notice no difference from doubling your RAM.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Most likely you won't need 8 gigs. I was actually getting along with 2GB pretty well, but I just upgraded to 4 gigs for games, heavy multitasking, etc. Also considering getting into some hobbyist photoshop, so it will help there too

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
Most likely you won't need 8 gigs. I was actually getting along with 2GB pretty well, but I just upgraded to 4 gigs for games, heavy multitasking, etc. Also considering getting into some hobbyist photoshop, so it will help there too

I found 2GB unusable, inadequate and unacceptable for any premium laptop sold after 2006. I am glad Apple stepped up and offers 4gb as the minimum in all their laptops now (except for the MBA and hope that will change soon).

Wait I just figured the whitebook still has 2GB of ram. That's pathetic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.