Updating Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SMP 4JC, Aug 17, 2010.

1. SMP 4JC macrumors newbie

i have the 2010 macbook pro i7 15".. only 4 gigs of ram.
    Has anyone upgraded there ram on this machine to 8 gigs and noticed much of a difference besides being able to say you 8 gigs of ram :)
    Thanks

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

depends on what you do. if you run a lot of apps at once then yes you should upgrade. if you only run 3 or 4 at a time 4GB should be fine.

3. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

What do you do? Chances are you don't need 8.

4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Upgrading to 8gb helped a lot but only because I use a lot of virtual machines at the same time (3-4 constantly). The perceived performance difference was much greater when I swapped the internal 5400RPM drive with an Intel 160GB SSD.

If you don't consume your entire RAM now (you can check your page ins and page outs, if they are low your computer doesn't offload data to the virtual memory on the HDD) you will probably notice no difference from doubling your RAM.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Most likely you won't need 8 gigs. I was actually getting along with 2GB pretty well, but I just upgraded to 4 gigs for games, heavy multitasking, etc. Also considering getting into some hobbyist photoshop, so it will help there too

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I found 2GB unusable, inadequate and unacceptable for any premium laptop sold after 2006. I am glad Apple stepped up and offers 4gb as the minimum in all their laptops now (except for the MBA and hope that will change soon).

Wait I just figured the whitebook still has 2GB of ram. That's pathetic.