Updating/Restoring A Jailbroken iPhone Help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by not2shabby, Oct 12, 2010.

1. not2shabby macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an :apple: iPhone 3GS jailbroken on 4.0.1 with Jailbreakme. I need to update it/restore it to get rid of the jailbreak because it is acting a bit slow.

I need to be able to keep my settings and apps and i do not care about the jailbroken apps because all I used the jailbreak for was themes and not for anything else. I don't care about the unlock because it still has 2 years left on the Telus contract.

How do i update/restore without bricking/boot looping or getting any errors?

P.S.- I have SHSH's saved.

So basically i want to get the next update free of errors and then i will probably use greenpois0n or limera1n to to re-jailbreak later.

Thank-You very much, Jamie.

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

It's very simple, just update in iTunes. Impossible to brick you phone, unlike Android phones, etc.

After jailbreaking on 4.1 with Limera1n/greenpois0n, you will notice a big change in overall OS speed.

3. not2shabby thread starter macrumors newbie

4. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Nope, that only happens if their is physical hardware problems with your iPhone. Restoring in iTunes is never a risk, 100% safe, no matter what was previously installed on the phone.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you don't plan on taking a vacation out of country or something that requires another provider, then doing a restore and an upgrade to 4.1 will be fine for you. Don't erase from your phone. I mention this, because people think erase all settings won't force them to put their phone in DFU mode and restore.
    Instead of doing a full recovery, you might want to investigate why your phone is slow. Depending on what you install in Winterboard, I've read of people who have slow running phones as a result. You might have better luck trying to narrow down your culprit.

6. johnny168 macrumors member

So if im on iphone4 and 4.0.1 jailbroken. i just update to 4.1 no problems?

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'd use itunes to erase my phone first, because my luck is bad like that. Then I'd use itunes to update to 4.1. However, there's no reason you can't simply upgrade.

8. johnny168 macrumors member

Sounds good ! Will do this once I have a little more time on my hands. Then stay on 4.1 for a little. Then jailbreak! Thanks for the help! Means a lot !

9. McBeats macrumors 6502a

help!

i tried updating and an error occured. now my iphone is stuck in recovery mode and wont update, and is unusable!

10. not2shabby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will try that and get back to you.

The other person who encountered the error McBeats) I read your other thread that said what you did to erase your problem, thanks, I was about to add that for extra safety while updating LOL.
    :apple::apple:

11. not2shabby thread starter macrumors newbie

updating...

It is updating rite now. Hope all goes well! :p
    9/10 of the way through that bar on the restore apple screen!!

12. not2shabby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank-you very much!!
    Would you like a donation through p-pal/Pay-P(you get that it is pay.......pal-dont know if that can be said on these forums...)
    I would be happy to donate $10!:apple::apple: