Updating Safari Bookmarks To Show Page Title Instead of Page File Name

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JoelMarcey, Dec 7, 2011.

1. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

I have hundreds of bookmarks saved in Safari. Many of them are easily recognized when I browse through them with bookmark titles like:

Code:
    Bare Bones Software | Textwrangler 
    The Principles of Good Programming
    Those are based on the Safari browser title.

However, I have many that are titled just based on the page name like:

Code:
    index.htm
    favorite.html
    index.php?id=119
    When I go to these pages, though, they have readable browser titles like in the first set of examples I posted.

Is there an automated way to go through all Safari bookmarks and replace all the titles, no matter what they are, with their respective browser page title names?

It would seem awfully inefficient going through even 100 of the page name only based bookmarks individually, loading up the page, and retitling the bookmark manually.

I imagine there might be a programmatic way to do this (automator?); but something already available would save a bit of time.

Thanks.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I think it's highly unlikely that any software could identify the name of a web page from a bookmark titled by page. Maybe something could do it after following the link, but I kind of doubt that too. I think you're stuck doing it manually. I guess you'll be more picky about accepting the name for the bookmark in the future.