Updating Samsung 850 EVO firmware via USB enclosure

Discussion in 'iMac' started by burningrave101, Nov 14, 2017.

1. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

I have a late 2013 iMac running High Sierra, a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, and just bought a USB 3.1 external enclosure and there is a firmware update available for my SSD but the only Mac directions involve creating a bootable CD/DVD to flash the firmware.

What are my options to update the Samsung SSD firmware without using a CD/DVD? Is there a guide to using a bootable USB stick instead or can I just install Windows on the iMac and update the firmware using the Samsung Magician software or will it not work with an external SSD over USB?

This is the external enclosure I bought if it matters:

http://plugable.com/products/usbc-sata-e/

2. cynics macrumors G4

Years ago I had the same trouble with a Samsung SSD. I couldn't get it to update in an exclosure via USB. In the end I pulled it and plugged it into my laptops caddy and updated via Windows. PITA I know however the bright side was I didn't lose any data.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I don't think it's possible to update firmware for an SSD in a USB3 enclosure.

The firmware applications seem to be written to "recognize" drives connected directly to the SATA bus -- but they can't "see" and won't "touch" drives behind a USB controller...

4. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

nope, impossible while mounted in a USB case! the only way possible (without disassembling the iMac) is to put the SSD in a Thunderbolt case. I usually buy LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt equipped with the smallest HDD and replace the HDD with an SSD.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 601

SaSaSushi

Yes, as mentioned, firmware updates will not work over USB. This is another reason in addition to the inability to enable TRIM that I always recommend using Thunderbolt for external SSDs running the OS.

Even if you were get your hands on a firmware update CD/DVD, it would not work over USB.

I have the Delock 42510 Thunderbolt enclosure and can recommend it highly.

6. Sg335man macrumors member

As a year or so has gone on since your post, I am interested in how you flashed the SSD in your Thunderbolt enclosure. What did you do with the firmware .ISO file downloaded from Samsung? Thanks
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2018 ---
    As a year or so has gone on since your post, I am interested in how you flashed the SSD in your Thunderbolt enclosure. What did you do with the firmware .ISO file downloaded from Samsung? Thanks

7. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

8. Sg335man macrumors member

What if you don’t have a CD/DVD optical drive? Apple are not making computers with CD/DVD it’s a format long gone. I have Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 ports and enclosures. However I bought into speed spec and here we are. Your right it’s the only way to do it but dose not help me. I am going to try using an Thunderbolt enclosure to put the ISO files on. TRY? You have to have a direct connection to the SATA bus? Like the internal optical drive would have. Many thanks for your advice.

9. imacken macrumors 65816

Costs about £10 for a USB optical drive.

10. Sg335man macrumors member

Again it has to be connected to either a SATA port or internal SATA. USB Bus will not work?

11. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

again: no, USB will not work. the SSD needs to be connected to either an internal SATA or to a Thunderbolt SATA case.

12. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Sg wrote:
    "Apple are not making computers with CD/DVD it’s a format long gone."

The "format" IS NOT "long gone".
    CD/DVD is still used by millions.

Apple no longer builds optical drives into their Macs.
    There's nothing that stops you from using an EXTERNAL DVD/CD drive to do what needs to be done.