Updating Samsung SSD Firmware

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Namtaro, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Namtaro macrumors regular

Sorry if this is in the wrong section so please move it if it is. :)

I currently have a Samsung 830 256GB SSD in my Macbook Pro. The supplied software to update it's firmware doesn't support OS X so would I be able to hook it up to a Windows PC (Via SATA of course) and update it's firmware from there without losing data?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can try it(always back up your data), but I'm pretty sure to update the firmware on Samsung drives you have to have Windows installed on the target drive.

3. Namtaro thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Hoping some 830 owners can chime in on that part.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's one reason why my wifes PC has the Samsung 830 and my MBP has the Crucial M4.

5. snoylekim macrumors member

yes , you'll need a Windows Machine .. Question is ..do you need to update the firmware ?? Looks like the last 830 FW update in in January 2012 .. Firmware updates aren't like Software Updates, and this SSD is reasonably reliable .. If Samsung issues another FW update for the 830 and recommends / requires for all, we'll both need to back up the data, find a windows box w/ Magician , and go through that ordeal :) ..I'm not expecting another for the 830 ..

6. LAFUNGA macrumors newbie

7. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I think Samsung provides a way to install updates on OS X computers.

Updating the firmware is a risky procedure that could result in the loss of all your data. Unless there's a compelling reason to update (there is not), you're better off not touching the firmware.