Updating software please respond ASAP

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Acronym, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Acronym macrumors 68000

I need to know if my sister updated her JB unlocked iPhone 3G bought from Rogers, will she be able to use her phone still using the Rogers sim card?

Or will she then need to unlock her phone again? Does Rogers limit you to what plans you can use if you got a phone from someone else?

Please respond asap!!!

Thank you in advance.

2. staeit macrumors member

"bought from Rogers"

Why do you think Rogers would sell her a phone that was locked to another phone network? If she bought it from Rogers like you said, and wants to use it on Rogers like you said, then updating shouldn't be any issue.

Generally speaking, the only limitation is that if you buy a smartphone on contract at Rogers, then for that contract you are obligated to pay a minimum amount of $50/month for the entire contract term.

No, but if it's originally locked to a different network then it will be completely unusable on Rogers, because the lock status is restored when the iPhone software is updated (unless you bypass this). You can definitively test this by removing ultrasn0w in Cydia. After rebooting, if you still have service on Rogers then it will still work with a restore. If you reboot and no longer service then two things are true: it's not locked to Rogers, and the phone wasn't actually purchased from Rogers as you said.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

^^^ Pretty much.

If it's bought from Rogers, then it will work on Rogers no matter what (Unless you kill it for some reason).

IF you don't know where she bought it from, remove Ultrasn0w from Cydia, and test. Like ^^^ suggested. Actually you should probably do this anyways.

If you want to keep your Jailbreak, I wouldn't update

4. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I should of clarified, I bought it from Rogers initially but thank you for the information, I just wanted to clarify, she has been stuck on 3.0 for sometime now hah.

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

No one will recommend she update to iOS 4. Stay at 3.x.