updating to 10.3 problems

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mountain mac, Oct 25, 2008.

1. mountain mac macrumors newbie

I now have a new situation. I recently installed a wiped hard drive in my Power Mac G4, I was able to install OS 9.1 then upgrade that to 9.2.1 however when I try to upgrade to 10.3 from my install disc I get a message that says
    "There were errors installing the software" and "please try again" dose any body have advice ?

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

First thing to try is to check to see if the disc is scratched or if there are finger prints on the disc... etc. Is your 10.3 disc an "upgrade" disc or a retail version? You are using "Disc 1" to install it right? If it's an upgrade disc, you will have need to have 10.2 running on your Mac first. Hope any of this helps you out.

3. mountain mac thread starter macrumors newbie

retail version looks good

Thanks for your response, I'm using a retail version and it looks real good I ran disk warrior last night and it found and corrected some problems so I'm going forward however I'm still getting the same error message I'll try to update my firm ware next. Any more thoughts would be welcome

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If updating the firmware does not work try a minimal install.

Your main language only, leave every other option unchecked when customizing the install. This will reduce the chances of coming across a bad area on the install discs.

Once the base install is performed you can manually install whatever else you want from the cd's when booted into Mac OS X. As for printer drivers I would just check the manufacturers website for the most recent drivers available for 10.3 rather than the large pack from the install discs.

5. mountain mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Still seeing the same message

Well I tried the minimal install and got the same message . I kind of remember some thing that needed to be done as far as a download from the internet before I installed this the first time but Ill be darned if I can remember what it was. I checked the support site and it says that no firmware update is needed. I'm dead in the water now so if anyone can suggest ANYTHING please feel free

6. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

You probably need to update to 9.2.2 before upgrading to 10.3.

7. mountain mac thread starter macrumors newbie

upgraded to 9.2.2

So I have upgraded to 9.2.2 and still no go, any thing else you can think of let me know. I'll try anything at this point, thanks for your suggestions

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

It still could be your discs. Do you have another Mac that you can try to install it on? Does it keep giving the errors at a constant point or time in the installation process?

9. mountain mac thread starter macrumors newbie

The same place every time

Yes it stops at processing base system part 2 at 98%. I saw this exact complaint from another user on one of those pay for advice web sights but didn't want to pay I guess I should have now . Its going to take awhile to find it though, I've been looking for three days at different sites to find the cure lol

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Since it keeps stopping at the same exact point it could be you disks like Orange SVTguy stated.

With your hands and the disk clean (so no dirt causes further damage) try polishing the CD with toothpaste then wash it (only dry with a cotton towel not paper, paper towels can scratch plastic). I mention polishing the disk with toothpaste since the toothpaste usually has very fine abrasives, it can help remove scratches from the disks protective surface that causes read errors with the underlying data layer.

11. mountain mac thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to download it

I can only say thank you for all of your help and post the solution that I found in hopes that it will help others with this problem. I took out some of my RAM and viola everything worked perfect. So thanks again for all of your efforts and you will all be repaid by your generous efforts some day . I know what comes around goes around