Updating to 10.9 and FileVault

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Crazy Badger, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I've never done a OSX update with FireVault switched on and wondered what the standard practice was. I'm assuming I can just leave it switched on, and almost ignore the fact it's running, running the OSX upgrade as I would without FileVault switched on?

The GM seems pretty stable on my iMac, compatibility issues now resolved with beta versions from a couple of developers, so was going to stick on the MBA but then worried about FileVault (which I don't bother with on iMac)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can leave it on without any worries, though I will say any OS upgrade should include a backup before undertaking the operation.

3. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Thanks. I would always take a Time Machine backup before any upgrade, but that has made me think of another question! Is the Time Machine backup from a FileVault drive encrypted too?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not by default, You can specify to encrypt the backup which is in the preference pain.

5. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

6. mfram macrumors 65816

I upgraded my ML install to Mavericks GM with a FV2 encrypted volume. No problems. It upgraded and kept the encryption enabled.

7. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Great to hear! I backed up my MBA last night and created a Mavericks USB drive so I could update in work today. Unfortunaltey the USB stick wasn't recognised (not sure why) so will try again tomorrow...

8. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Upgraded this morning in about 30 minutes!

Only a couple of expected incompatible apps (TotalFinder & TotalSpaces) which I already had Mavericks upgrades for.

No problem with the FileVault other than having to enter the password at a couple of points during the installation.

9. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Confirmed.

Upgraded to Mavericks GM, everything was left intact.