Updating to 3.0b2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aaleck, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

A really nice person just added my UDID to their account so I can install 3.0b2 and I ran a quick search looking for this but nothing (no topic devoted to this topic anyway) and I have to leave in a couple minutes for work, so i'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

Anyway...

Has anyone had any luck updating to 3.0b1 or 3.0b2 with the iPhone1,2_3.0_7A259g_Restore.ipsw from OS 2.2.1?

Thanks a lot

2. Justen macrumors member

If you have the file, plug in your iPhone, get to the screen in iTunes, and if you're running on windows, do this.

Hold shift, and click restore. It will bring up what firmware you want to restore to. Select the iPhone1_2_3.0_7A259g_Restore.ipsw

Let it restore, then choose the backup you want.

3. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

Aaleck:

I see you're using a MBP. The Windows instructions will surely be helpful for many, but I'll provide the instructions for your Mac.

Much like Windows, you'll need to plug in your phone first. Then when it comes up, you'll need to hold the Option (alt/option) key and click on the "Check for Updates" button. That will bring up the window where you'll be able to navigate and manually select the .ipsw file as Justen instructed.

Hope this helps.

P.S. -- Do make sure you create a new back up just prior to doing this. It will erase your phone and you will have to restore from a back up. Again, make sure you have the most current back up possible or you will lose data.

4. Aaleck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Right, I know that much but instead of restoring it could I choose update? So I int start over from scratch... or are you saying that I can use a backup to get all my stuff back reguardless of the OS I had when I backed up?

If that makes any sense

5. Aaleck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Okay thanks... It'll erase everything but I can get everything back... I guess I didn't know if the backup included the firmware or not... I kinds feel stupid now :p haha

Thanks

6. Justen macrumors member

The first time I did it, I tried doing "check for update" and selecting the beta2, but it didn't work for me. It put my iPhone into recovery mode both times I tried. Then I tried doing "restore" and selecting it, and it worked perfectly. I just backed it up from there.

7. Aaleck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Back from work for a couple hours and did a little more research and bookmarked some pages for instructions to downgrade back to 2.2.1 if it becomes nessary to do so... I then 'upgraded' to 3.0 and it didn't work, got stuck on the apple screen of death... I forgot I did it at first, scared me a bit (haven't really did this since i have my jailbroken ipod touch) then remembered, so I restored it to 3.0 and it worked... restoring from my backup now. So far so good. Looks nice.

8. Justen macrumors member

Have fun, much better than Beta1.