updating to 4.2.1 questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bkingtu83, Dec 26, 2010.

1. bkingtu83 macrumors member

I currently have an iphone 4 jailbroken on ios 4.1 and bb 02.10.04

If i want to do the new jailbreak for 4.2.1, which im still debating, would an update in itunes from 4.1 to 4.2.1 wipe out my songs, pictures, contacts, etc? I know the jailbreak will be lost, but will my info be lost as well?

Also, im on AT&T so i really dont care about the carrier unlock, but im thinking about waiting until the unlock for my bb is released as well. But is it true that tiny umbrella cant preserve basebands when updating to the new ios?

I havent been on these boards or the jailbreak scene for a while so im trying to refresh my memory and get caught up on the new happenings

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Backup your contacts, pictures, song and so on through itunes. After updating to updating to 4.2.1, just restore from backup and resync song / pictures.

Some people have reported that if you use Tinyumbrella and use "Update" button, instead of "Restore," it will save your current baseband.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1059740

Note: Currently, IP4 4.2.1 JB is tethered. You probably want to wait until a untethered one gets release before going to 4.2.1.

3. bkingtu83 thread starter macrumors member

if i back my phone up to itunes, what exactly is it backing up? just the files, apps, music, txts etc or is it saving the jailbreak as well?

yea i know the jailbreak for 4.2.1 is tethered which is why im waiting

and thanks for the link. i'll research more on the bb issue

thanks

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If you want to get to 4.2.1 and you do not care about an unlock. Then do an update in itunes to 4.2.1 "Not a restore" but an update and you will lose only the JB no music, or contacts or other data will be lost.

You can then jailbreak with redsn0w but you will have a tethered jailbreak.

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

iTunes backup doesn't store the jailbreak, just everything that makes your device different from stock (apps/settings/etc).

6. bkingtu83 thread starter macrumors member