Updating to 4.x with iPad baseband. Possible/worth it?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by UrBoyTim, Jul 19, 2011.

1. UrBoyTim macrumors member

So i've been running my iPhone 3G with iPad baseband on 3.1.3 with T-mobile for about a week now and was wondering if it's possible to upgrade to like 4.2.1 or not? I heard you need a custom ipsw, but I wasn't sure if using a program like sn0breeze would work with my baseband.
    FYI, when I try to update through iTunes, my phone gets stuck in recovery mode and I have to restore, rejailbreak, unlock, and reinstall everything. I figured I'd just throw that out there...

On a side note, I'm loving how my new phone is working, but it's just really frustrating not being able to run my favorite apps (most of iTunes is 4.0 or later now). Is there another way around this without upgrading to 4.x? That would probably be the most ideal in my case.
    Thanks guys!

2. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

iPhone 3G runs best with 3.1.3
    Also if u wanna upgrade to 4.2.1 u can keep the older baseband and upgrade using Cfw made from sn0wbreeze. Ipad baseband is crap.
    Edit : just read u already on iPad baseband. Yyyyy????

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

3.1.3 is the best firmware for a 3G if gives you the best speed and response. you could try 4.2.1 you would just have to install the firmware or cook it via Sn0wbreeze/PC or Pwnage tools/Mac this is why Itunes is giving you trouble it seems the Ipad baseband and stops the update.

4. UrBoyTim thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! That's what I've been hearing about 3G and although I am really pleased with it, the only issue is the apps then. Are there any fixes or mods that could trick the iPhone into running 4.0 apps?

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

well you do have to realize your phone is about to be 4 models old! 3G 3GS I4 and soon to be 4GS or I5. People don't like it but the world marches forward.

6. UrBoyTim thread starter macrumors member

When I was in the beginning of researching iPhone 3G jailbreak/unlock, it was clear in many of the tutorials that it's necessary to unlock with T-mobile. I didn't really want to seeing as how there were so many warnings against it. They said I wouldn't be able to go back or update FW, but otherwise, I wouldn't be able to use it.
    But hey, it was a free iPhone and I was just giving it a shot. Works great now, lol.

And labman, unfortunately, I understand that haha. I was just wondering if that kind of a fix was out there. Like I said, it was a free phone, I wasn't going to invest too much into the project. But who knows..maybe I might splurge one day and get a 3GS lol. Thanks for the help guys!

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You could've updated to a newer iOS and kept your unlockable bb with custom firmware. iPad bb is the stupid sibling of the two choices.

8. awadeee, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You're getting stuck in iTunes because your baseband is not recognized by the firmware package it's trying to install. See, when iTunes installs a firmware onto your device, a baseband is installed too. The higher the firmware, the higher the baseband number. With the iPhone 3G and 3Gs, we are in the 5.xx.xx area. Your baseband is 6.15.00, and therefore iTunes gets confused when it's trying to install the 5.xx.xx baseband over the higher 6.15.00 one, getting the end result you've experienced.

The best course of action would be to use Sn0wbreeze (Windows) or Pwnagetool (Mac) to create a custom 4.2.1 iPhone 3G IPSW. The custom firmware will never touch the baseband. Then, use Sn0wbreeze/Pwnagetool or Redsn0w to put your iPhone into pwned DFU mode. This allows for custom firmware packages to be installed via iTunes. Go into iTunes, to your iPhone's information screen. Hold the shift key (option key on a Mac) and click the restore button. A window will pop up prompting you to select an IPSW to restore to. Select the custom one you created. In my experience, I've noticed that Sn0wbreeze saves IPSW files to the desktop by default.