Updating to 5.1 while keeping 1.59.00 BB (iP4 tethered JB)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZCherub, Apr 14, 2012.

1. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Erring on the side of caution w/ (hopefully) an easy couple of questions.

I'm updating my iP4 from 4.1 w/ 1.59.00 BB to 5.1 & wanting to keep my BB by using Redsn0w custom IPSW (I was previously JB w/ Greenpois0n, & have been on stock 4.1 firmware [except for the BB] for several months now).

-Anyone foresee any problems w/ this attempt to keep the 1.59.00 BB? Any software conflicts, etc.?

-If I install I Cydia app that requires a 'respring', will I have to boot tethered using Redsn0w?

-If I install I Cydia app that requires me to 'restart device', will I have to boot tethered using Redsn0w?

My plan is to install semi-tethered app from BigBoss, but I want to be 100% sure what I'm getting into since it's been a while since my last JB ( searching only yielded the above options, but I'd like the specifics of how they'll work after the JB).

Thanks all!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you just gotta make a custom 5.1 with redsnow.
    For resprings you don't need to boot tethered. When cydia asks for a reboot, or if you need to power off your iPhone or if your battery dies you will need to boot tethered using redsnow.
    Other than that you'd be ok.

3. iSong macrumors newbie

4. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

Sounds like a good plan. Semi-tethered is the best.

5. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Great - thanks, 'juiced & others! One more question - if I fail the steps for DFU mode (like I said, I'm a little out of practice), & the phone is stuck on the 'connect to iTunes' screen, can I simply start the DFU button sequence over, or will I be stuck connecting to iTunes & restoring at that point? Thanks again!

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Just start the sequence over. No ill effects.

7. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Thought so - thanks for clarifying! I'll give it a shot once I update iTunes (learned from another thread not running the latest can cause Redan0w error messages when jailbreaking). Thanks again, everyone.

8. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Just a quick follow up - worked like a charm. Anyone else out there on the fence, follow the instructions on iClarified exactly & you'll be good to go.