Updating to 5.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RotaryP7, Mar 6, 2012.

1. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Just wondering. I know I'd lose the JB. I just wanted to know.. Will I even be prompted to update? Can I update? What will happen if I do? Aside from losing the JB.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

iTunes will prompt you to update. Just don't accept and you can even check the box "don't remind me with this again"

On on your device in Settings, don't push the button to do the OTA update.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

also keep girlfriends,wifes,boyfriends,husbands,kids,dogs,cats,fish,housekeepers etc away from your device and itunes.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I have the JB right now, but would rather update than stay jailbroken (can always do it when they JB 5.1)..if I update as normal, will there be any problems or should it update to 5.1 and get rid of the JB no problem?

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Updating to 5.1 you might not be able to go back to 5.0.1 nobody knows when there will be a 5.1 jb. Update at your own risk just don't come back crying after.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm not planning on going back to 5.0.1 and I don't care about the JB. I just want to make sure that updating while my phone is jailbroken won't mess up my phone in any way (other than losing the JB, obviously)

7. ignus graius macrumors regular

Tyler23, I believe (without having researched) that the caveat to updating is that you must update using your computer. I think you'd only run into problems if you updated over the air.

I used to update my jailbroken iPhone often back in the 2.x/3.x days, but haven't done it in a while.

8. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

Tyler it will not mess it up at all. You do want to restore it instead
    of just updating it. Also don't restore from a JB backup.that seems
    to introduce all kinds of problems.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I've read in a few places that I could just update (connected to my MBP of course), and that I did not need to restore, then update..I will do what I have to, but I'd rather not deal with the trickiness of restoring, then updating..

Oh and all the answers are much appreciated :D

10. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Really, i've restored from a JB back up every time with no problems :confused:

11. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I plan to update to 5.1 also but I'm going to do a restore.

While I'm fairly certain that just updating will be okay I want to make sure that anything and everything related to any Cydia apps is completely removed.

In the past when updating and then re-jailbreaking, some Cydia apps didn't have to be reset because all the settings I had were still there. That told me that some files evidently did not get deleted.

12. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Essentially, can I just hit Update? Will it cause a ton of problems if I update straight from a jailbreak, or do I pretty much need to restore to pre-JB, then update? I don't care about losing the JB as I'd rather have 5.1 than the JB.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Restoreing the device as new is always the best option when removing a jailbreak. Updating from backup sometimes works but it can leave part of tge jailbreak. You can always try update and if that fails restore as new.

14. crc4 macrumors member

What is supposed to be in 5.1 that is making guys want to "update" ?
    And how does anyone know whether the JB exploit has been closed in 5.1?

15. RotaryP7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure. Honestly, I love the JB but I just wanted to know if I updated, will I update to 5.1 w/o any problems. I don't want to restore and all that crap. I'm still confused as to how "parts" of a JB gets stored in backup. :rolleyes:

16. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

Yes, the JB exploit has been closed. So if you upgrade, you loose the jailbreak.

17. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

This is what I want to know too, if someone could please clarify..

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Usually visual stuff gets carried/copied over to the backup file.
    Like icons changed using winterboard etc...

19. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Man I thought this was not coming out until the 9th, I wanted to do a restore to troubleshoot some issues I was having. Guess I will have to wait.

20. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Can I upgrade OTA, or since I'm upgrading from my JB 5.0.1 do I need to do it via iTunes with my phone connected?

The reason I ask is I'm getting a server area when trying to check for an update via iTunes, but my Software Update on my 4S registers that new software is available.

21. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You can update however you want....

You will lose your Jailbreak, no other issues

If you restore your backup or do a OTA update, you may see some traces of Jailbreaks apps, settings and images, if you want a complete clean phone, update on your computer and set up as new.

simple!

22. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

the plist or setting files are saved in a backup. only small files that don't do anything when the corresponding jailbreak app is not installed

23. RotaryP7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm. Alright so I'm guessing it doesn't do anything? Confused. I also heard in some other thread that if you actually update while on the JB, it corrupts the file and you'd have to restore. :confused:

24. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

Brief explanation of what happens when you upgrade or restore:

The space on your iDevice is partitioned into a small partition for the operating system, and a large one for user data and apps. When you jailbreak, part of the OS is "stashed". Many Cydia apps and tweaks need to be stored together with the operating system, and to make space for that, half the operating system is moved to the user partition when jailbreaking. This has the possibility of causing trouble when upgrading.

When a new iOS is released, you can upgrade (and unjailbreak) in several ways.

Over-the-air upgrade reportedly does not work, as the upgrade process notices that something is strange, and aborts.

Using iTunes to upgrade will usually work fine (unless you have some strange tweaks applied). But it will leave the old "stashed" stuff behind. You will have 500MB of inaccessible junk from the old version in a directory, and if you used Winterboard all the themes will be there too. Mostly harmless, but takes up some space. Some tweaks may survive this process, if it worked by modifying a setup file. Then you are left with no way to turn it off. You can optionally rejailbreak (if a jailbreak is available for the new version!) and clean up manually. This was what I did when going from 5.0 to 5.0.1 - and I strongly recommend choosing the next option instead :)

Using iTunes to restore will back up all user data, wipe the iDevice, install the new version of iOS and restore all user data. In principle, some tweaks may survive if they work by modifying a configuration file and that file was backed up and restored. But if you reset such stuff before beginning the process then this is perfectly safe. This it what I recommend. I did it to clean up when I had messed up my phone.

The last option is using iTunes to restore and set up as new phone. All traces of a jailbreak are of course removed. You can then sync your calendar and apps, but this will be significantly more work than the previous option, and only recommended if you want to be 100% sure that noone can detect the jailbreak (like before letting Apple repair it).

And do remember that iOS 5.1 is not yet jailbreakable - and that and iPhone 4S iPad 2 cannot be downgraded once upgraded, and other devices only if you prepare it before the upgrade.

25. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Thanks for that! I feel that really describes each possible scenario!